Removes extra water from your body.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Aldactone (Spironolactone) is helpful when added to another diuretic to get rid of excess fluid in your body. Doesn't work well on its own.
- Has a low risk of causing muscle problems due to low potassium levels in your blood.
- More useful when taken with another diuretic that'll also help your body get rid of extra fluids.
- Can lower blood pressure.
- Reduces the risk of death in people with heart failure.
- Not very good at getting rid of excess fluids on its own. Should be used with another drug to help get rid of excess fluids.
- Has many possible side effects, especially when higher doses are used.
- Can increase the risk of tumor growth.
- Needs to have blood tests done to monitor electrolyte levels and kidney function.
Save on your next Aldactone (Spironolactone) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 25mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 25mg tablets of Aldactone (Spironolactone) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$12.28New price:$4.91Save:60%
- Kmart$15.98New price:$8.15Save:49%
- $18.52New price:$8.15Save:56%
- $18.76New price:$11.07Save:41%
Side effects for Aldactone (Spironolactone)
What to expect when you take Aldactone (Spironolactone)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can make you dizzy or cause trouble concentrating, so be careful using it until you know how the medicine affects you.
- Don't use supplements or salt substitutes that are high in potassium.
- You can have breast pain/swelling, irregular periods (women), or trouble with sexual performance.
- Tell your doctor about any muscle weakness, skin changes, red or black tarry stool.
- Can take 2 to 3 days to see full diuretic effects and 2 to 3 weeks to see blood pressure lowering effects.
Risks and Warnings for Aldactone (Spironolactone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Use of Aldactone (Spironolactone) in rats showed higher risk of tumor growth, so it should only be used for FDA-approved indications.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Aldactone (Spironolactone)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Needs to have blood tests done to monitor electrolyte levels and kidney function.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Aldactone (Spironolactone) can increase the amount of potassium in your body. High potassium can cause heart problems. Baseline and routine blood tests are needed to monitor your potassium and kidney function.
- I wish I had known about the black labeled warning for tumor growths. Two years after starting medication they found growths in my lungs, kidney and colon.Age: 31Gender: WomanTaken for: Swelling
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › You can have breast pain/swelling, irregular periods (women), or trouble with sexual performance.