Prevents gout flare-ups.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Zyloprim (Allopurinol) works well to prevent gout attacks and is cheaper than some alternatives, but it takes a few weeks to kick in.
- Works well to lower the amount of uric acid in the body to reduce gout attacks.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Can actually increase the number of gout attacks in the first few weeks.
- It can take 2 to 6 weeks to feel the full effects of the medication.
- You should drink a lot of fluids to prevent kidney stones from forming while taking this medication.
Save on your next Zyloprim (Allopurinol) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 300mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 300mg tablets of Zyloprim (Allopurinol) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- Kroger Pharmacy$19.28New price:$9.64Save50%
- Publix$18.10New price:$7.06Save61%
- $31.89New price:$20.09Save37%
Side effects for Zyloprim (Allopurinol)
From clinical trials of Allopurinol / Any condition
- Acute attacks of goutAcute attacks of gout6% for Allopurinol vs.0% for placebo
- Skin rashSkin rash3% for Allopurinol vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Alkaline phosphatase increase
- Red bumpy skin rash
- Sgot/sgpt increase
What to expect when you take Zyloprim (Allopurinol) for GoutSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Drink plenty of water while taking this medication.
- Take with food or milk to prevent an upset stomach.
- It takes at least 2 to 6 weeks to experience the full benefit of this medication.
- Your doctor can run blood tests to make sure the medication is working as it should.
Risks and Warnings for Zyloprim (Allopurinol)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
People who first start Zyloprim (Allopurinol) can experience increased gout attacks as they take the medication for the first few weeks. This is common. Your doctor can prescribe other medications to prevent these attacks from occurring.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Zyloprim (Allopurinol)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take with food or milk to prevent an upset stomach.
- I'm on just about the lowest dose available (100mg 2x daily) and my uric acid is very well controlled, plus I don't have to been too fussy with my diet (e.g., I can consume mushrooms, spinach, etc., and other relatively high purine foods).Age: 67Gender: ManTaken for: GoutDuration taken: Two years or more
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › You should drink a lot of fluids to prevent kidney stones from forming while taking this medication.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › People who take Zyloprim (Allopurinol) can be more likely to have kidney stones, especially if you're dehydrated. Drink at least 10 to 12 eight ounce glasses of water every day to help prevent that from happening.