Prevents gout flare-ups.
Our bottom line
Zyloprim (Allopurinol) works well to prevent gout attacks and is cheaper than some alternatives, but it takes a few weeks to kick in.
- (30) 300mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 300mg tablets of Zyloprim (Allopurinol) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$19.28New price:$9.64Save:50%
- $27.60New price:$11.04Save:60%
- $11.92New price:$11.80Save:1%
- $16.59New price:$12.61Save:24%
- Works well to lower the amount of uric acid in the body to reduce gout attacks.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Can actually increase the number of gout attacks in the first few weeks.
- It can take 2 to 6 weeks to feel the full effects of the medication.
- You should drink a lot of fluids to prevent kidney stones from forming while taking this medication.
What to expect when you take Zyloprim (Allopurinol) for GoutSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Zyloprim (Allopurinol)
- Acute attacks of gout
- Skin rash
Risks and Warnings for Zyloprim (Allopurinol)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
People who first start Zyloprim (Allopurinol) can experience increased gout attacks as they take the medication for the first few weeks. This is common. Your doctor can prescribe other medications to prevent these attacks from occurring.
Common concerns from people taking Zyloprim (Allopurinol)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take with food or milk to prevent an upset stomach.