Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Altace (Ramipril) is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function. Easy to use if you can't swallow whole capsules.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- The only ACE inhibitor that comes in a capsule that you can sprinkle in applesauce or water.
- Up to 1 and 10 people can get a dry cough with this medicine. It ranges from a mild tickle in the throat to a persistent hacking cough.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Altace (Ramipril) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Altace (Ramipril)
From clinical trials of Altace / Reduce risk of heart attack and stroke ( 1986)
- Low blood pressureLow blood pressure11% for Ramipril vs.5% for placebo
- Cough increasedCough increased8% for Ramipril vs.4% for placebo
- CoughCough7% for Ramipril vs.2% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness4% for Ramipril vs.3% for placebo
- Heart-related chest painHeart-related chest pain3% for Ramipril vs.2% for placebo
- FaintingFainting2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- Positional low blood pressurePositional low blood pressure2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- VertigoVertigo2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Deep skin swelling
What to expect when you start Altace (Ramipril)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure one week after starting this medication, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Requires routine blood tests to check how your kidneys are working.
- Don't take if you are pregnant.
Risks and Warnings for Altace (Ramipril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Altace (Ramipril) can cause birth defects. If you're pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Altace (Ramipril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check how your kidneys are working.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Altace (Ramipril) has a risk of making your kidneys not work as well. It's important to get blood work done to check your kidney function before starting Altace (Ramipril) and at least yearly after.