Lowers blood pressure.
Our bottom line
Altace (Ramipril) is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function. Easy to use if you can't swallow whole capsules.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- The only ACE inhibitor that comes in a capsule that you can sprinkle in applesauce or water.
- Up to 1 and 10 people can get a dry cough with this medicine. It ranges from a mild tickle in the throat to a persistent hacking cough.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Altace (Ramipril) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 10mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 10mg capsules of Altace (Ramipril) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$30.00New price:$9.60Save:68%
- $104.30New price:$10.43Save:90%
- Rite-Aid$57.62New price:$12.10Save:79%
- $52.91New price:$12.17Save:77%
- Kmart$74.72New price:$13.45Save:82%
What to expect when you take Altace (Ramipril)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure one week after starting this medication, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Requires routine blood tests to check how your kidneys are working.
- Don't take if you are pregnant.
Side effects for Altace (Ramipril)
From clinical trials of Altace / Reduce risk of heart attack and stroke ( 1986)
- Low blood pressureLow blood pressure11% for Ramipril vs.5% for placebo
- Cough increasedCough increased8% for Ramipril vs.4% for placebo
- CoughCough7% for Ramipril vs.2% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness4% for Ramipril vs.3% for placebo
- Heart-related chest painHeart-related chest pain3% for Ramipril vs.2% for placebo
- FaintingFainting2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- Positional low blood pressurePositional low blood pressure2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
- VertigoVertigo2% for Ramipril vs.1% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Deep skin swelling
Risks and Warnings for Altace (Ramipril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Altace (Ramipril) can cause birth defects. If you're pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Altace (Ramipril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check how your kidneys are working.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Altace (Ramipril) has a risk of making your kidneys not work as well. It's important to get blood work done to check your kidney function before starting Altace (Ramipril) and at least yearly after.