Treats heart rate problems.
Our bottom line
Cordarone (Amiodarone) is an option to treat heart rate problems when other medicines don't work, but it can take a few weeks to work and there's a lot of serious side effects.
- An option for treating life-threatening heart rate problems when other medicines or procedures haven't worked.
- Cordarone (Amiodarone) has been shown to lower the number of heart rate problems you can experience after certain types of heart surgeries.
- Available as a generic version, so it should be affordable.
- Not a good choice if you have eye, liver, or lung problems.
- You'll need regular monitoring for side effects, such as routine blood tests, heart tests, and eye exams.
- Cordarone (Amiodarone) can stay in your body for weeks or months after you've stopped taking it. Make sure you tell your doctor or dentist that you've taken Cordarone (Amiodarone) if they don't already know.
- There are many possible drug interactions, so talk to your doctor or pharmacist before making any changes or starting a new medicine.
Save on your next Cordarone (Amiodarone) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 200mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 200mg tablets of Cordarone (Amiodarone) at pharmacies
- $88.80New price:$13.32Save:85%
- Kroger Pharmacy$21.09New price:$13.50Save:36%
- Kmart$114.92New price:$13.79Save:88%
- $44.22New price:$14.15Save:68%
What to expect when you take Cordarone (Amiodarone)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Your doctor may have you start taking Cordarone (Amiodarone) in a hospital or clinic so you can be watched closely for side effects.
- It can take 1 or 2 weeks before you start to see any effects.
- There are many serious side effects that can only be found by getting blood tests done. It's important to follow all of your doctor's instructions when taking Cordarone (Amiodarone).
- Can make your skin more sensitive to sun. Use proper protection, such as sunscreen, and avoid sun lamps.
- Can cause nausea, so you can take it with food to help.
- Drinking grapefruit juice with Cordarone (Amiodarone) can affect your heart rate, so avoid all forms of grapefruits.
Side effects for Cordarone (Amiodarone)
Risks and Warnings for Cordarone (Amiodarone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking other heart rate medicines
Cordarone (Amiodarone) should only be used in people with life-threatening heart rate problems. There are many potentially fatal side effects and it can make the heart rate problem worse or harder to handle. Other similar medicines should be tried first before Cordarone (Amiodarone). People can start taking Cordarone (Amiodarone) in a hospital to watch for side effects.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Cordarone (Amiodarone)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can cause nausea, so you can take it with food to help.