Treats bacterial infections.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Amoxil (Amoxicillin) is a good and cheap antibiotic to treat many types of bacterial infections. However, many bacteria are resistant to this medication.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Suspension must be stored in the fridge.
- Can make birth control pills and live vaccines less effective.
- Many bacteria have developed resistance to this antibiotic.
- Can cause diarrhea.
Save on your next Amoxil (Amoxicillin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 500mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 500mg capsules of Amoxil (Amoxicillin) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- Kroger Pharmacy$22.80New price:$13.45Save41%
- $34.00New price:$23.46Save31%
Side effects for Amoxil (Amoxicillin)
From clinical trials of Amoxicillin / Tonsillitis and/or pharyngitis (12 and older) (775 mg) ( 302)
- Any side effectAny side effect11% for Amoxicillin vs.0% for placebo
- Vulvovaginal mycotic infectionVulvovaginal mycotic infection2% for Amoxicillin vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea2% for Amoxicillin vs.0% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect1% for Amoxicillin vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea1% for Amoxicillin vs.0% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache1% for Amoxicillin vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Amoxil (Amoxicillin) for InfectionSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Finish all of the medicine your doctor gives you, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early can cause the bacteria to develop resistance, making the medicine ineffective.
- If you're taking birth control pills, this medication may make them less effective.
- Take with food to decrease upsetting your stomach (nausea, vomiting).
- If you're giving the suspension, you can mix it with a cold drink, but make sure to take it right away.
- Keep the suspension form in the fridge. All other forms should be kept at room temperature.
- You may have loose stool when taking this medicine, but it should get better soon after finishing the course. If the diarrhea worsens, tell your doctor.
Risks and Warnings for Amoxil (Amoxicillin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Long antibiotic treatment period
Taking antibiotics, like Amoxil (Amoxicillin) can increase your chance of getting certain fungal or bacterial infections that causes diarrhea and can be contagious. If you develop an unusual diarrhea with loose or bloody stools weeks after you finish the medication, talk to your doctor since this can be a rare but serious side effect.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Amoxil (Amoxicillin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take with food to decrease upsetting your stomach (nausea, vomiting).
- Doesn't matter if you take it with food or not. Make sure you finish the entire course of antibiotics though, very importantAge: 21Gender: WomanTaken for: TonsillitisDuration taken: Less than a week