Treats low testosterone.
Prescription onlyLower-cost generic available
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
This testosterone gel is a convenient topical form of hormone replacement, but you have to be careful about it rubbing off on other people. Also it can be cheaper than alternatives.
- You put it on like a lotion, so it's very easy to apply.
- Available in generic, so it's cheaper than some alternatives.
- You have to make sure that you cover the area where you place testosterone gel after it's dry, otherwise it can rub off on people.
- You have to wait at least 2 hours before you shower or swim after putting on Testosterone gel, otherwise your body won't absorb the entire amount.
Loading pricing data...
Skip side effects sections. Skip to What to Expect and Pharmacists Tips section.
Side effects for Androgel (Testosterone Gel)
From clinical trials of Androgel / Testosterone replacement (1.62%) ( 274)
- Psa increasedPsa increased11% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Any adverse reactionAny adverse reaction11% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Mood swingsMood swings3% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- High blood pressureHigh blood pressure2% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Hematocrit or hemoglobin increasedHematocrit or hemoglobin increased2% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash2% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Application site reactionsApplication site reactions1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Androgel (Testosterone Gel)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Tips from our pharmacists
- How to put it on: Don't put testosterone gel anywhere else except where you're taught by the doctor or pharmacist, usually the shoulders and upper arms. Don't put it around your genitals. Wash your hands with soap and water and dry them afterward. Cover the area with clothing as soon as it's dry so you don't spread it to other people.
- Don't bathe or swim for at least 2 hours after you've put on testosterone gel so that it has time to absorb.
- If you think you'll have skin-to-skin contact with someone else at the area where you've placed testosterone gel, wash that area with soap and water and dry. If someone else touches the area before you've washed it off, have them wash their skin with soap and water as soon as they can.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Androgel (Testosterone Gel)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?