Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Antara (Fenofibrate) is good for lowering triglycerides (fats), but it's not as good as statins for improving cholesterol.
- Lowers "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides (fats) and raises "good" cholesterol (HDL) in people who have trouble doing this through diet and exercise.
- In studies, it didn't lower heart disease in people with Type 2 diabetes.
- According to new guidelines, you shouldn't take this medicine by itself to lower cholesterol.
- Drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly can raise your risk of liver damage.
- Different forms and strengths of this medication can't be substituted for each other.
Save on your next Antara (Fenofibrate) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- Prices for (30) 130mg capsules of Antara (Fenofibrate)
- Kroger Pharmacy
Side effects for Antara (Fenofibrate)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Advanced liver disease
- Joint pain
- Kidney failure
- Liver inflammation
- Low red blood cells
- Muscle pain
- Muscle spasms
- Muscle weakness
- Severely depressed hdl cholesterol
- Sudden or temporary kidney injury
What to expect when you start Antara (Fenofibrate)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Lowers triglycerides.
- Can cause backache or headache.
- Call your doctor if you develop muscle or abdominal pain.
- Don't drink a lot of alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Also taking Welchol or Questran? Take this medicine at least 1 hour before or 6 hours after.
- You should use this medicine in combination with a healthy diet.
Risks and Warnings for Antara (Fenofibrate)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking Antara (Fenofibrate) with statins
People on Antara (Fenofibrate) while taking statins have reported muscle pain which may lead to muscle and kidney damage. This has been very rare. Talk to your doctor if you develop sudden muscle pain or weakness or fever and you don't know why.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Antara (Fenofibrate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly can raise your risk of liver damage.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Don't drink a lot of alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › People on Antara (Fenofibrate) while taking statins have reported muscle pain which may lead to muscle and kidney damage. This has been very rare. Talk to your doctor if you develop sudden muscle pain or weakness or fever and you don't know why.