Prevents breathing problems.
Our bottom line
Asmanex (Mometasone) is good at controlling and preventing asthma symptoms when you take it every day.
- Relieves symptoms and improves control of asthma.
- People report fewer asthma symptoms and better lung function when they take it every day.
- Inhaling this medicine (rather than taking an oral steroid) gets more into the lungs and less into rest of your body, which lowers the risk of side effects. Inhaled corticosteroids can be used safely for years compared to oral corticosteroids like prednisone.
- Some people who take this medicine are able to stop other asthma medications or use their fast-acting (rescue) inhalers less often.
- You can't lower the dose or stop taking it too suddenly.
- Steroids can slow height growth in kids.
- Because steroids suppress your immune system, you can catch bacterial and viral infections easier, and they can take longer to go away.
- Can cause new or worsening eye pressure, glaucoma, and cataracts.
Save on your next Asmanex (Mometasone) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 15g of 0.1% tube of cream
- Cost for (1) 15g of 0.1% tube of cream of Asmanex (Mometasone) at pharmacies
- $32.03New price:$9.93Save:69%
- $59.39New price:$13.66Save:77%
What to expect when you take Asmanex (Mometasone)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Use it every day to control your asthma symptoms.
- Starts working the same day, but it can take 1 to 2 weeks to feel the full effects.
- Rinse your mouth out with water after each use.
- Replace the cap on the inhaler after each use to protect it from moisture.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds after inhaling the medication.
- Don't breathe out into the inhaler mouthpiece.
- Tell your doctor if the medication stops working or if your symptoms get worse.
- Contains lactose, so don't take if you have a milk protein allergy.
Side effects for Asmanex (Mometasone)
From clinical trials of Asmanex / Asthma: Adults (Two 220-mcg inhalations twice daily) ( 89)
- Musculoskeletal painMusculoskeletal pain22% for Mometasone vs.14% for placebo
- Candidiasis, oralCandidiasis, oral22% for Mometasone vs.9% for placebo
- Sinus inflammationSinus inflammation22% for Mometasone vs.19% for placebo
- Allergic rhinitisAllergic rhinitis20% for Mometasone vs.5% for placebo
- Upper respiratory infectionUpper respiratory infection15% for Mometasone vs.14% for placebo
- Joint painJoint pain13% for Mometasone vs.7% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue13% for Mometasone vs.2% for placebo
- Low mood disorderLow mood disorder11% for Mometasone vs.0% for placebo
- Sinus congestionSinus congestion9% for Mometasone vs.0% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Asmanex (Mometasone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Lowering dose or stopping Asmanex (Mometasone) too quickly especially after long-term treatment
- › Stress such as trauma, surgery or infection
Adrenal suppression can occur if you lower your dose or stop taking Asmanex (Mometasone) too quickly. Symptoms include joint or muscle pain, extreme low energy and depression. Changes in your medication need to be done slowly and over time. Talk to your doctor before you decrease or stop Asmanex (Mometasone).