Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Atacand (Candesartan) is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function just like ACE inhibitors, but has fewer side effects.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Works similar to ACE inhibitors (like lisinopril), but doesn't have the same side effects like cough and swelling.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for people with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Not always covered by insurance, so it can be expensive.
Save on your next Atacand (Candesartan) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Atacand (Candesartan)
What to expect when you start Atacand (Candesartan)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Get your blood pressure, potassium, and kidney function checked 1 week after starting the medicine, then routinely after.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness or muscle weakness that doesn't go away.
- Get immediate medical help if you notice any swelling, especially around your head and neck.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Don't take it if you're pregnant.
Risks and Warnings for Atacand (Candesartan)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Atacand (Candesartan) can cause birth defects or death to a fetus. If you are pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Atacand (Candesartan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Get your blood pressure, potassium, and kidney function checked 1 week after starting the medicine, then routinely after.
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Atacand (Candesartan) has a risk of making your kidneys not work as well. It is important to get blood work done to check your kidney function before starting Atacand (Candesartan) and at least annually after.
- Itcontrols blood pressure well, but it does have side effects. In my case, nasal congestion so bad that my wife tells me it is as if I had sleep apnoea, which I do not have.Age: 61Gender: manDuration taken: two years or more