Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Zithromax (Azithromycin) is good for treating many bacterial infections. It is also available as generic. Talk to your doctor if you've ever had liver disease, myasthenia gravis, or on medications to thin the blood, as the doctor may write an alternative.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- Must space out antacids by at least 2 hours.
- Has to be used with caution in people who've had liver disease.
- Can't be used in people who've had myasthenia gravis.
- Must be used with caution in people who are on medications to thin the blood (anticoagulants) because of increased risk of bleeding.
- Can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
Save on your next Zithromax (Azithromycin) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 6 tablets of 250mg z-pak
- Cost for (1) 6 tablets of 250mg z-pak of Zithromax (Azithromycin) at pharmacies
- Kmart$61.25New price:$9.80Save:84%
- $28.00New price:$9.80Save:65%
- $37.57New price:$10.52Save:72%
- Kroger Pharmacy$17.30New price:$11.07Save:36%
- $37.26New price:$15.65Save:58%
Side effects for Zithromax (Azithromycin)
From clinical trials of Azithromycin / Any condition
- DiarrheaDiarrhea5% for Azithromycin vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea3% for Azithromycin vs.0% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain3% for Azithromycin vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Zithromax (Azithromycin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take the medication exactly how your doctor tells you to.
- Can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
- Space out any antacids with magnesium or aluminum by at least 2 hours.
- Can take with or without food.
Risks and Warnings for Zithromax (Azithromycin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
As with all antibiotics, Zithromax (Azithromycin) can cause diarrhea. If this happens while you're taking the medication, taking probiotics in the form of yogurt, supplements or drinks a few hours after you take the medication may help. If you develop an unusual diarrhea with loose or bloody stools weeks after you finish the medication, talk to your doctor as this can be a rare but serious side effect.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Zithromax (Azithromycin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can be taken with or without food.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can take with or without food.
- As with any antibiotic, be sure to supplement with probiotic foods like yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut to replace intestinal flora.Age: 28Gender: ManTaken for: Bacterial sinusitis