Treats allergy symptoms and helps you sleep.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is great for allergies, but curl up on the couch after taking it and get ready for a nap.
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is often better than other antihistamines at treating allergy symptoms and hives.
- It can provide quick relief of allergy symptoms for both kids and adults.
- It makes you sleepy, so it'll help if your allergies are bothering you at night.
- The effects wear off in 4 to 6 hours, so side effects don't last that long.
- It comes as a tablet, capsule, liquid, and quick dissolving tablet.
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) makes you more tired than Claritin, Allegra, or Zyrtec.
- You shouldn't drive after taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) until you know how it affects you.
- Talk to a pediatrician before giving Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) to a child.
- It can increase the risk of falls, so elderly people shouldn't use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine).
- Don't use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) if you are breastfeeding.
Save on your next Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 25mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 25mg capsules of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at pharmacies
- $11.59New price:$5.10Save:56%
Side effects for Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)
What to expect when you take Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for AllergiesSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take it as needed every 4 to 6 hours.
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can make you dehydrated, so avoid this side effect by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) makes you tired, so take it before you go to sleep.
- Don't take it with alcohol or other drugs that make you sleepy.
- If you need to use it for more than a few weeks, talk with your doctor. A different medication might work better for you long-term.
- If you only have itchy or watery eyes, try using just an antihistamine eye drop.
Risks and Warnings for Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Using other drugs with the same ingredients
There are a variety of over-the-counter medications with the same ingredients as Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). It's not safe to use more than one medication containing diphenhydramine (the ingredient in Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)) at the same time. Read package labels carefully to make sure you take the right dose of these medications.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Don't take it with alcohol or other drugs that make you sleepy.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) makes you tired, so take it before you go to sleep.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › People age 65 years and older have a higher risk of side effects from taking antihistamine medications like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). Watch for changes in vision, severe dry mouth, trouble urinating, or constipation. The drowsiness caused by Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can make you "unsteady" on your feet, leading to a higher chance of falls.
- This will make me very drowsy so I only take it when I have no plans to go outside or drive.Age: 40Gender: WomanDuration taken: Just as needed
- My tip is...don't forget you can use it for a sleep aide and it is usually cheaper than buying a name brand sleep aide. It is also good at keeping your sinuses open...which also helps you sleep better.Age: 43Gender: WomanTaken for: Insomnia
- I use as a sleep aid and to help anxiety.Age: 19Gender: WomanTaken for: Insomnia