Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Benazepril is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- Up to 1 in 10 people can get a dry cough with this medicine. It ranges from a mild tickle in the throat to a persistent hacking cough.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Lotensin (Benazepril) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 20mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 20mg tablets of Lotensin (Benazepril) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$12.94New price:$6.73Save48%
- Sams Club
- $16.76New price:$7.71Save54%
- Rite-Aid$24.52New price:$13.24Save46%
- $29.78New price:$17.57Save41%
Side effects for Lotensin (Benazepril)
From clinical trials of Benazepril / High blood pressure ( 1460)
- HeadacheHeadache6% for Benazepril vs.4% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness4% for Benazepril vs.2% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness2% for Benazepril vs.0% for placebo
- Positional dizzinessPositional dizziness2% for Benazepril vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Lotensin (Benazepril)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or throat irritation that doesn't go away.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Don't take it if you're pregnant.
Risks and Warnings for Lotensin (Benazepril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Taking Lotensin (Benazepril) may cause minor throat irritation or a dry cough. This can happen at any time while you're taking Lotensin (Benazepril). If you find this bothersome, discuss with your doctor for other options.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Lotensin (Benazepril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.