Prevents bone loss.
Our bottom line
Boniva is a first-choice treatment for osteoporosis and is available as a generic, but how you have to take it can be a hassle. It's also only approved for women, not men.
- (1) 3 tablets of 150mg dose pack
- Cost for (1) 3 tablets of 150mg dose pack of Boniva (Ibandronate) at pharmacies
- $344.00New price:$44.72Save:87%
- Kroger Pharmacy$298.24New price:$62.63Save:79%
- $387.77New price:$116.33Save:70%
- $473.93New price:$142.18Save:70%
- $390.46New price:$222.56Save:43%
- Available in generic.
- Available in oral tablets that can be given once a month or once a day.
- Also available as shot given into your vein every 3 months.
- You have to take it first thing in the morning with a full glass of water.
- You have to remain upright for at least 60 minutes after you take the medication, which can be a problem if you have mobility issues.
- Only approved to treat and prevent osteoporosis in women who have gone through menopause.
Side effect rates for Boniva (Ibandronate)
- Upper respiratory infection
- Any serious side effect
- Back pain
- High blood pressure
- Pain in extremity
Risks and Warnings for Boniva (Ibandronate)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
People on the oral version of Boniva (Ibandronate) have reported irritation to the stomach and esophagus to the point of ulcers. It is very important to remain standing or sitting upright for at least 30 minutes after you take the medication to help stop this from happening, and to take this first thing in the morning when you wake up with a full glass of plain water. Talk to your doctor if this will be a problem for you. Also, talk to your doctor if you notice new pain while swallowing, or pain around the middle of your chest or abdomen while taking this medication.
Common concerns from people taking Boniva (Ibandronate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- If you have pain with swallowing, around your chest or stomach, or new or worsening heartburn, talk to your doctor.
- Muscle aches, joint pain, 4 finger joints swelled, fever, headache. I could barely walk to the kitchen and bathroom. Took 10 tries to get up out of the chair.
- Consider adding weight-bearing exercises as part of your exercise routine.