Helps you relax.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Buspar (Buspirone) is effective for treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and less effective for short-term use.
- Buspar (Buspirone) works very well to control the symptoms of generalized anxiety syndrome (GAD).
- Buspar (Buspirone) doesn't cause physical dependence or withdrawal symptoms.
- Buspar (Buspirone) is only available as a generic, so the price can be pretty cheap.
- Buspar (Buspirone) can take as long as four weeks to become fully effective.
- Not as effective for short-term anxiety conditions or panic disorders.
- Most people find that it loses effectiveness over long periods of time.
- Can cause drowsiness or dizziness when you start taking Buspar (Buspirone). Be extremely careful of activities that require mental alertness, such as driving.
Save on your next Buspar (Buspirone) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 10mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 10mg tablets of Buspar (Buspirone) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$19.96New price:$5.19Save:74%
- Kmart$96.20New price:$9.62Save:90%
- $22.37New price:$9.62Save:57%
- $31.50New price:$13.23Save:58%
Side effects for Buspar (Buspirone)
From clinical trials of Buspar / Anxiety ( 941)
- DizzinessDizziness12% for Buspar vs.3% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect10% for Buspar vs.0% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness10% for Buspar vs.9% for placebo
- NauseaNausea8% for Buspar vs.5% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache6% for Buspar vs.3% for placebo
- NervousnessNervousness5% for Buspar vs.1% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue4% for Buspar vs.4% for placebo
- Sleep difficultySleep difficulty3% for Buspar vs.3% for placebo
- LightheadednessLightheadedness3% for Buspar vs.0% for placebo
- Central nervous system disturbancesCentral nervous system disturbances3% for Buspar vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Buspar (Buspirone) for AnxietySkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take doses at about the same time each day.
- It can take several weeks to get the full effect.
- Don't eat or drink grapefruit juice when using Buspar (Buspirone).
- Don't use Buspar (Buspirone) within two weeks of using an MAO inhibitor (like Eldepryl, Parnate, or Marplan).
- Be consistent in taking Buspar (Buspirone) with or without food.
- Avoid alcohol when taking Buspar (Buspirone).
Risks and Warnings for Buspar (Buspirone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking with MAOIs
- › Taking with Zyvox or methylene blue
You shouldn't take Buspar (Buspirone) for at least 14 days after stopping a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) to lower the risk of serotonin syndrome. There’s also an increased risk of serotonin syndrome when using Buspar (Buspirone) with Zyvox or methylene blue.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Buspar (Buspirone)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Avoid alcohol when taking Buspar (Buspirone).
- No alcoholAge: 50Gender: ManTaken for: Anxiety
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Be consistent in taking Buspar (Buspirone) with or without food.
- It makes me crazy dizzy in the am if i take it on an empty stomach. Food helps.Age: 31Gender: WomanTaken for: Anxiety
- Helps with sexual side effects of EffexorAge: 29Gender: WomanTaken for: Anxiety
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can cause drowsiness or dizziness when you start taking Buspar (Buspirone). Be extremely careful of activities that require mental alertness, such as driving.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Stopping Buspar (Buspirone) suddenly may cause withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, anxiety, flu-like symptoms, trouble sleeping, and muscle pain or burning. Withdrawal symptoms can last a few weeks or longer. Work with your doctor to gradually reduce your dose.
- Take before bedtime to avoid drowsiness.Gender: WomanTaken for: OCDDuration taken: A year or so
- It is cheap, it does not help with anxiety, panic attacks, nervousness, irritability, or stress, inability to relax and sleep, It causes these symptoms. (Nausea), constipation REALLY!! What is the usefulness of it? Xanax much better.Age: 54Gender: WomanTaken for: Anxiety