Lowers blood pressure and controls heart rate.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Verapamil works well to lower blood pressure and prevent chest pain, but you have to be okay with avoiding alcohol. You can't miss doses, and you might get persistent swelling.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Calcium channel blockers work especially well for African Americans to lower blood pressure.
- You can take it alone or with other medicines to help lower blood pressure.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Prevents heart-related chest pain (angina) if you take it regularly.
- Treats certain abnormal heart rhythms.
- Calcium channel blockers can cause swelling in your limbs. If this happens for you, it probably won't get better over time, so talk to your doctor about alternatives if it bothers you.
- Women are more likely to have side effects (especially swelling) from Verapamil than men.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Verapamil suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Not a good medication for you if you drink alcohol.
Save on your next Calan (Verapamil) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 120mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 120mg tablets of Calan (Verapamil) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$20.00New price:$8.00Save:60%
Side effects for Calan (Verapamil)
From clinical trials of Calan / Any condition (Extended release) ( 285)
- ConstipationConstipation7% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache5% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness4% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- Lack of energyLack of energy3% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- IndigestionIndigestion3% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- Ankle swellingAnkle swelling1% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- Sleep disturbanceSleep disturbance1% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
- Muscle painMuscle pain1% for Verapamil vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Calan (Verapamil)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Interacts with grapefruit and the cholesterol medicine Simvastatin.
- Can cause constipation and headache.
- Don't drink too much alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Your doctor might do routine blood tests to check your liver function.
Risks and Warnings for Calan (Verapamil)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Severe left ventricular dysfunction (ejection fraction <30%)
- › Taking beta-blockers
Reports of heart failure or pulmonary edema (increased fluid in the lungs) have been reported. If your doctor feels that Calan (Verapamil) will work for you, they will work with you to control the issues with your heart before starting Calan (Verapamil).
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Calan (Verapamil)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Not a good medication for you if you drink alcohol.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Don't drink too much alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Take with food to avoid dizziness0Gender: WomanTaken for: I took it for:Irregular heart beatDuration taken: A few months
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Your doctor may monitor your heart to see if changes to its electrical system may occur, especially if you have had liver or kidney disease in the past.