Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Captopril is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function, but you have to take it on an empty stomach.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- Up to 1 in 10 people can get a dry cough with this medicine. It ranges from a mild tickle in the throat to a persistent hacking cough.
- Compared to other ACE inhibitors, less flexible on when and how you take it. Captopril needs to be taken multiple times a day on an empty stomach.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Capoten (Captopril) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 25mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 25mg tablets of Capoten (Captopril) at pharmacies
- $55.24New price:$22.65Save:59%
- $57.51New price:$23.58Save:59%
Side effects for Capoten (Captopril)
From clinical trials of Captopril / Any condition ( 7000)
- RashRash7% for Captopril vs.0% for placebo
- FlushingFlushing5% for Captopril vs.0% for placebo
- Abnormal sense of tasteAbnormal sense of taste4% for Captopril vs.0% for placebo
- ItchingItching2% for Captopril vs.0% for placebo
- CoughCough2% for Captopril vs.0% for placebo
- ProteinuriaProteinuria1% for Captopril vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormally fast heart beat
- Abnormally large breasts in males
- Blurred vision
- Bullous pemphigus
- Canker sore
- Cerebrovascular accident/insufficiency
- Chest pain
- Deep skin swelling
- Dry mouth
- Eosinophilic pneumonitis
- Erythema multiforme
- Exfoliative dermatitis
- Feeling unwell
- Gastric irritation
- Hair loss or baldness
- Heart pounding or racing sensation
- Inflammation inside the nose
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Liver inflammation
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood cell count
- Low blood pressure
- Low mood disorder
- Low red blood cells
- Muscle pain
- Muscle weakness
- Peptic ulcer
- Positional low blood pressure
- Rhythm disturbances
- Serious allergic reaction
- Shortness of breath
- Sleep difficulty
- Stopped heart and circulation
- Symptomatic hyponatremia
- Tingling sensation
- Tongue inflammation
- Yellow skin or eyes
What to expect when you take Capoten (Captopril)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or change in taste sensation that doesn't go away.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Don't take it if you're pregnant.
Risks and Warnings for Capoten (Captopril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Capoten (Captopril) can cause birth defects or death to a fetus. If you are pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Capoten (Captopril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.