Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Catapres (Clonidine) is a good addition if you need more than one medicine to control your blood pressure, but it has a lot of side effects. You can't miss doses.
- Can be added to other blood pressure-lowering medicines if you need additional blood pressure control.
- Available in a weekly patch for people that aren't good at taking medicine by mouth.
- Works in the brain, so it can help treat some nervous system and psychiatric conditions.
- Under the brand name Kapvay, it's used to treat ADHD in children and teenagers.
- Has a lot of side effects compared to other blood pressure-lowering medicine because it works in the brain.
- The pill form can make some people sleepy, dizzy, and have dry mouth.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Clonidine suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Save on your next Catapres (Clonidine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 0.1mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 0.1mg tablets of Catapres (Clonidine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$16.28New price:$7.00Save:57%
- $20.25New price:$10.73Save:47%
- Kmart$17.34New price:$11.27Save:35%
Side effects for Catapres (Clonidine)
From clinical trials of Catapres / High blood pressure (Patch) ( 101)
- Redness/itching / pruritisRedness/itching / pruritis26% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth25% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness12% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- Skin blisteringSkin blistering7% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue6% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache5% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- Skin or nail darkeningSkin or nail darkening5% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- Allergic contact sensitizationAllergic contact sensitization5% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- Lack of energyLack of energy3% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- Relaxation or sleepinessRelaxation or sleepiness3% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormal electrical activity in the heart
- Abnormally fast heart beat
- Abnormally large breasts in males and weight gain
- Abnormally slow heartbeat
- Angioneurotic edema
- Blurred vision
- Burning of the eyes
- Chest pain
- Congestive heart failure
- Decreased sexual activity
- Difficulty urinating
- Dryness of the eyes
- Feeling unwell
- Hair loss or baldness
- Heart pounding or racing sensation
- Increases in blood pressure
- Leg cramps
- Localized numbness
- Localized or generalized rash
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of libido
- Mental depression
- Muscle or joint pain
- Other behavioral changes
- Positional low blood pressure
- Raynaud's phenomenon
- Skin lightening or darkening
- Visual and auditory hallucinations
- Vivid dreams or nightmares
- Withdrawal syndrome
What to expect when you take Catapres (Clonidine) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Usually taken together with other medicines for better blood pressure control.
- Can cause drowsiness, headache, dizziness, and dry mouth.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- If side effects don't go away, talk to your doctor about alternatives.
- The weekly patch form can have fewer side effects.
- Don't stop taking this medicine suddenly.
- Extended release tablet also used to treat ADHD.
Risks and Warnings for Catapres (Clonidine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Sudden discontinuation of medicine
Stopping Catapres (Clonidine) suddenly can cause agitation, headache, tremors, or have a sudden rise of blood pressure that can result in complications. Catapres (Clonidine) should be stopped over 2-4 days with the guidance of a doctor. If using with a beta blocker medicine, slowly stop the beta blocker first before stopping Catapres (Clonidine).
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Catapres (Clonidine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can cause drowsiness, headache, dizziness, and dry mouth.
- It's hard to deal with the drowsiness at work or school. Even on days off it will knock me out for half an hour then leave me drained for hours afterward. Look into other meds.Age: 23Gender: ManTaken for: Tic disorderDuration taken: Two years or more