Lowers blood pressure.
Our bottom line
Catapres (Clonidine) is a good addition if you need more than one medicine to control your blood pressure, but it has a lot of side effects. You can't miss doses.
- Kroger Pharmacy$16.28New price:$7.00Save:57%
- Rite-Aid$30.27New price:$9.99Save:67%
- Price: $10.00
- Can be added to other blood pressure-lowering medicines if you need additional blood pressure control.
- Available in a weekly patch for people that aren't good at taking medicine by mouth.
- Works in the brain, so it can help treat some nervous system and psychiatric conditions.
- Under the brand name Kapvay, it's used to treat ADHD in children and teenagers.
- Has a lot of side effects compared to other blood pressure-lowering medicine because it works in the brain.
- The pill form can make some people sleepy, dizzy, and have dry mouth.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Clonidine suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Catapres (Clonidine) is an alpha-2 agonist. It works in the brain to tell your blood vessels to relax, and it lowers the activity of certain stress hormones. This lowers blood pressure.
What to expect when you take Catapres (clonidine) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Catapres (clonidine)
- Redness/itching / pruritis
- Dry mouth
- Skin blistering
- Skin or nail darkening
- Allergic contact sensitization
- Lack of energy
Risks and Warnings for Catapres (clonidine)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Sudden discontinuation of medicine
Stopping Catapres (Clonidine) suddenly can cause agitation, headache, tremors, or have a sudden rise of blood pressure that can result in complications. Catapres (Clonidine) should be stopped over 2-4 days with the guidance of a doctor. If using with a beta blocker medicine, slowly stop the beta blocker first before stopping Catapres (Clonidine).
Common concerns from people taking Catapres (clonidine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Can cause drowsiness, headache, dizziness, and dry mouth.
- It's hard to deal with the drowsiness at work or school. Even on days off it will knock me out for half an hour then leave me drained for hours afterward. Look into other meds.