Relieves pain and inflammation.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Celebrex (Celecoxib) works well for treating pain and causes less upset stomach than other NSAIDs.
- Relieves pain and inflammation for many types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
- Good for treating muscle aches and pains, as well as menstrual cramps.
- Causes fewer stomach problems than other NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Naproxen.
- Lasts longer than Ibuprofen.
- The longer you take Celebrex (Celecoxib), the more likely you are to have stomach problems, including inflammation, ulcers, and bleeding. Can also happen if you take Celebrex (Celecoxib) on an empty stomach.
- Like all NSAIDs, it can raise your risk of blood clots, heart attack, or a stroke.
- Can also affect your kidneys or cause permanent kidney damage if taken for a long time.
Save on your next Celebrex (Celecoxib) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 200mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 200mg capsules of Celebrex (Celecoxib) at pharmacies
- $270.42New price:$32.45Save:88%
- Kroger Pharmacy$188.16New price:$35.75Save:81%
- $217.50New price:$39.15Save:82%
- $220.14New price:$63.84Save:71%
- $215.21New price:$81.78Save:62%
- Rite-Aid$229.00New price:$98.47Save:57%
Side effects for Celebrex (Celecoxib)
What to expect when you take Celebrex (Celecoxib) for ArthritisSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Starts working in 1 to 3 hours.
- Take it with a meal or a snack to prevent an upset stomach.
- Can make you bruise or bleed more easily and it can also cause stomach ulcers.
- Don't take it with other blood thinners, like aspirin, unless your doctor tells you it's safe.
- Can hurt your kidneys, so don't use it if you have a history of kidney problems.
Risks and Warnings for Celebrex (Celecoxib)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Long-term use
- › History of heart disease
- › History of heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft/CABG)
Taking Celebrex (Celecoxib) for extended amounts of time can raise your risk of heart attack or stroke, especially if you've had a history of heart disease or are planning heart bypass surgery. Take Celebrex (Celecoxib) for the shortest amount of time possible needed to control your symptoms to lower this risk. Talk to your doctor about alternatives to Celebrex (Celecoxib) if you're going to have heart bypass surgery.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Celebrex (Celecoxib)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take it with a meal or a snack to prevent an upset stomach.
- Take with food to ensure you do not get an upset stomach.Age: 27Gender: WomanTaken for: Pain
- Take it with foodAge: 39Gender: WomanTaken for: Pain
- Take it with food always, after breakfast, and bedtime snack!Age: 74Gender: Woman
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can also affect your kidneys or cause permanent kidney damage if taken for a long time.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can hurt your kidneys, so don't use it if you have a history of kidney problems.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Celebrex (Celecoxib), and similar medications in the NSAID family, can cause lower kidney function or cause permanent kidney damage. You're at higher risk for this if you've a history of kidney disease, heart failure, and liver disease. Taking Diuretic, ACE inhibitor, or Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB) medications also increases your risk. If you are 65 or older you're also at a higher risk for these types of kidney problems.
- It worked for my knee pain, which is part torn meniscus and part arthritis, but affected my kidneys so I had to stop taking.Age: 61Gender: WomanTaken for: Pain
- Much better for the stomach. No bleeding like ibuprofen . Unfortunately the kidney doctors do not like it.Age: 75Gender: ManTaken for: Pain