Our bottom line
Cimzia (Certolizumab) is an effective medicine to calm down your immune system, but it can be expensive and it requires a lot of monitoring while you're taking it.
- In studies, people with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) taking methotrexate had improved symptoms when Cimzia (Certolizumab) was added to methotrexate.
- Cimzia (Certolizumab) is as effective as other similar medicines for Crohn's disease. It can be an option for people taking other RA medications that have too many side effects of don't work anymore.
- Cimzia (Certolizumab) lasts longer in the body than other RA medications, letting it work longer.
- Available in a prefilled syringe. This can make it easier to give yourself the injection.
- Can lower your immune system's ability to fight infections. You can get serious infections such as TB (tuberculosis) and infections caused by viruses, fungi, or bacteria.
- Can have a higher risk for causing bladder infections, rash, and upper respiratory infections (cold or flu) compared to other similar medicines.
- Cimzia (Certolizumab) can increase the risk of lymphoma, leukemia, and other cancers.
- Requires routine tests to check for infections.
- Not a good choice if you have a history of heart failure, nervous system problems, or hepatitis B.
- There's no generic available and it can be very expensive.
Cimzia (Certolizumab) is a monoclonal antibody. It lowers inflammation in the body by blocking a protein called TNF (tumor necrosis factor).
Side effect rates for Cimzia (certolizumab)
- Any side effect
Risks and Warnings for Cimzia (certolizumab)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Medications that lower immune system function
Cimzia (Certolizumab) can increase the risk for developing serious infections, such as TB (tuberculosis) or infections caused by viruses, fungi, or bacteria. These can be life-threatening, so call your doctor right away if you develop a serious infection or a blood infection.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Cimzia (certolizumab)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Has to be delivered to your home. I am having trouble finding a Medicare part D formulary in NC that carries it.
- Let it get to room temp before injecting it, seems to hurt less.