Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) is a good and cheap antibiotic to treat many types of bacterial infections. However, you have to reduce your caffeine intake, and have to protect yourself from the sun.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Must be used with caution in people over 60 years of age, or who have had either an organ transplant or on long-term steroid use due to possible tendon rupture.
- If you have caffeine while on Ciprofloxacin, you may noticed increased effects of the caffeine.
- Ciprofloxacin can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Can't be used if you've ever had myasthenia gravis.
- Can cause diarrhea.
Save on your next Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (20) 500mg tablet
- Cost for (20) 500mg tablets of Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- Kroger Pharmacy$16.80New price:$6.05Save64%
- Rite-Aid$27.73New price:$14.42Save48%
Side effects for Cipro (Ciprofloxacin)
From clinical trials of Cipro / Adults ( 49308)
- NauseaNausea3% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea2% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- Liver function tests abnormalLiver function tests abnormal1% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting1% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Cipro (Ciprofloxacin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- If you notice pain in your Achilles tendons, contact your doctor.
- Wear sunscreen if you're going to be out in the sun.
- Take the medication exactly how the doctor tells you to.
- Avoid taking this by itself with dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt) or with juice with calcium.
- Take this medication at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after any antacids with magnesium or aluminum or with any vitamins with calcium, iron or zinc.
- Can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
- Limit your caffeine intake while taking this medication.
Risks and Warnings for Cipro (Ciprofloxacin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Over 60 years of age
- › On long-term steroid use
- › Heart, kidney, or lung transplant
If you notice redness/inflammation, pain or swelling in your joints or muscles, especially in the Achilles tendon, contact your doctor immediately.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.