Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) is a good and cheap antibiotic to treat many types of bacterial infections. However, you have to reduce your caffeine intake, and have to protect yourself from the sun.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Must be used with caution in people over 60 years of age, or who have had either an organ transplant or on long-term steroid use due to possible tendon rupture.
- If you have caffeine while on Ciprofloxacin, you may noticed increased effects of the caffeine.
- Ciprofloxacin can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Can't be used if you've ever had myasthenia gravis.
- Can cause diarrhea.
Save on your next Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Cipro (Ciprofloxacin)
From clinical trials of Cipro / Adults ( 49308)
- NauseaNausea3% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea2% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- Liver function tests abnormalLiver function tests abnormal1% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting1% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Ciprofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you start Cipro (Ciprofloxacin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- If you notice pain in your Achilles tendons, contact your doctor.
- Wear sunscreen if you're going to be out in the sun.
- Take the medication exactly how the doctor tells you to.
- Avoid taking this by itself with dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt) or with juice with calcium.
- Take this medication at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after any antacids with magnesium or aluminum or with any vitamins with calcium, iron or zinc.
- Can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
- Limit your caffeine intake while taking this medication.
Risks and Warnings for Cipro (Ciprofloxacin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Over 60 years of age
- › On long-term steroid use
- › Heart, kidney, or lung transplant
If you notice redness/inflammation, pain or swelling in your joints or muscles, especially in the Achilles tendon, contact your doctor immediately.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.