Treats allergy symptoms.
Our bottom line
Claritin (Loratadine) is a once-daily allergy relief medication that doesn't make you feel sleepy.
- Relieves allergy symptoms like sneezing and runny nose just as well as other antihistamines, but with less sedation (drowsiness).
- Also treats hives and itchy skin.
- Side effects are rare and usually mild.
- Available over the counter without a prescription.
- Comes as a tablet, liquid, or quick-dissolving tablet.
- Can provide quick relief of allergy symptoms for both kids and adults.
- Okay to take with most other medications because it doesn't have many interactions.
- For some people, its effectiveness on treating allergies wears off over time.
- Some people find that other more sedating antihistamines (like Zyrtec or Benadryl) are more effective for them.
- If you have daily allergy symptoms, a prescription nasal steroid spray might be better for you long-term.
- Not for kids under 2 years.
- The Reditabs version contains aspartame (phenylalanine).
Save on your next Claritin (Loratadine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 24 hour tablet
- Cost for (30) 24 hour tablets of Claritin (Loratadine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$9.96New price:$4.98Save:50%
- $12.32New price:$8.50Save:31%
- $12.09New price:$9.91Save:18%
- Kmart$15.34New price:$9.97Save:35%
What to expect when you take Claritin (Loratadine) for Seasonal allergiesSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take it only once a day.
- Starts working in a few hours.
- Can make you feel sleepy, so take it at bedtime if needed.
- Avoid possible side effects by drinking plenty of non-caffeinated liquids.
- If you need to use it for more than a few weeks, talk with your doctor about trying a nasal steroid instead, which might work better for you long-term.
- Using an antihistamine eye drop might work better to help itchy or watery eyes.
Side effects for Claritin (Loratadine)
Risks and Warnings for Claritin (Loratadine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
There are many different over the counter medications with the brand name Claritin (Loratadine). Each one may contain different active ingredients. Be sure to read the labels carefully to understand what kind of medicine you have and what the correct dose should be.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Claritin (Loratadine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Relieves allergy symptoms like sneezing and runny nose just as well as other antihistamines, but with less sedation (drowsiness).
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › People age 65 and older have a higher risk of troublesome side effects from taking antihistamine medications like Claritin (Loratadine). Watch out for changes in vision, severe dry mouth, trouble urinating, or constipation. Also, feelings of drowsiness may leave you "unsteady" on your feet. This can make you more likely to fall causing broken bones or other serious injuries. Talk with your doctor before using Claritin (Loratadine) and stop using it if you have side effects.