Coumadin (warfarin) is a cheap and effective medicine that prevents new blood clots. It requires regular blood tests and you'll need to eat, exercise, and take your medicines consistently.
A low dose of Aspirin (81mg) every day can protect your heart, but it's not the best medicine to take for pain, swelling, or fever.
- Coumadin (warfarin) is available as a generic, so it should be less expensive than the brand version.
- In case you start bleeding too much while using Coumadin (warfarin), your doctor can give you another drug that reverses Coumadin (warfarin)'s effects.
- Coumadin (warfarin) comes in numerous strengths.
- Coumadin (warfarin) has been around for a long time and is one of the most commonly used 'blood thinner' medicines.
- When taking low doses (81 mg) every day, Aspirin provides protection for your heart and prevents heart attacks and stroke.
- Used in higher doses to relieve pain, swelling, and fever.
- Available over-the-counter in drugstores by itself and in combination with other cold and flu medications.
- Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Requires regular blood work, such as an INR, to make sure Coumadin (warfarin) is working correctly.
- Your daily dose of Coumadin (warfarin) can change if you change your diet, exercise patterns, or use of alcohol.
- A lot of other drugs and supplements interact with Coumadin (warfarin), so you'll need to check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medicines.
- Not a preferred medication for treating pain, swelling, or fever due to its high risk of bleeding.
- NSAIDs (like ibuprofen and naproxen) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) are better for treating pain and fever thank Aspirin.
- Aspirin raises your risk of bleeding, especially when used with other blood thinner medications like warfarin (Coumadin).
- Studies show that using higher doses of Aspirin (162 mg or more) every day raises your risk of stomach bleeding and doesn't provide any additional heart protection.
- Aches and pains
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Spine disorder
- Chronic chest pain
- Pre-heart attack
- Heart attack
- Heart attack prevention
- Stroke prevention
- Heart bypass surgery
- Coronary angioplasty
- Carotid artery surgery
- Lupus arthritis and chest pain
- Transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke)
- Transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke) prevention
Have you used Coumadin (warfarin)?Leave a review
- Life threatening bleeding
Coumadin (warfarin) dose too high
...and 8 more risk factors
- Harm to fetus
Women of childbearing age
- Brain damage or death from Reye's Syndrome
Children 18 years or younger
...and 1 more risk factors
- Stomach bleeding
History of stomach bleeding or ulcers
...and 3 more risk factors
- Serious allergic reactions
...and 4 more risk factors
- Harm to unborn babies
Women of childbearing age