Our bottom line
Delsym (Dextromethorphan) is a good option for treating dry cough. It's not safe to take with MAO inhibitors though.
- (89) 30mg/5ml bottle of oral suspension
- Cost for (89) 30mg/5ml bottle of oral suspension of Delsym (Dextromethorphan) at pharmacies
- Good for treating dry cough.
- Available in drugstores either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and allergy symptoms.
- Available as a liquid and a tablet.
- Some products relieve cough for up to 12 hours.
- Can't take dextromethorphan if you're taking MAO inhibitors (drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease, depression, and other emotional conditions). If taken together, they will cause dangerously high blood pressure levels.
- If you're taking this in combination with other cold and allergy medications, you should read labels closely to make sure you're not accidentally taking too much of a single ingredient.
Side effect rates for Delsym (Dextromethorphan)
Risks and Warnings for Delsym (Dextromethorphan)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Using other medications that affect serotonin
Serotonin syndrome is a rare but potentially life-threatening condition when there's too much serotonin in the brain. The dextromethorphan in Delsym (Dextromethorphan), when used with other medicines that affect serotonin (antidepressants, lithium, triptans, St. John's wort), increases your risk for serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include fast heart rate, sweating, muscle stiffness or spasms, fever, and confusion. Get medical attention right away if you have these symptoms.
Common concerns from people taking Delsym (Dextromethorphan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Works well, but makes me feel extremely drowsy and light-headed