Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Delsym (Dextromethorphan) is a good option for treating dry cough. It's not safe to take with MAO inhibitors though.
- Good for treating dry cough.
- Available in drugstores either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and allergy symptoms.
- Available as a liquid and a tablet.
- Some products relieve cough for up to 12 hours.
- Can't take dextromethorphan if you're taking MAO inhibitors (drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease, depression, and other emotional conditions). If taken together, they will cause dangerously high blood pressure levels.
- If you're taking this in combination with other cold and allergy medications, you should read labels closely to make sure you're not accidentally taking too much of a single ingredient.
Save on your next Delsym (Dextromethorphan) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (280) 30mg/5ml bottle of oral suspension
- Cost for (280) 30mg/5ml bottle of oral suspension of Delsym (Dextromethorphan) at pharmacies
Side effects for Delsym (Dextromethorphan)
What to expect when you take Delsym (Dextromethorphan)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Cough suppressant starts working in 15 to 30 minutes.
- Follow age-specific dosing instructions on how much to take. Don't take more than the recommended dose.
- If your cough lasts more than 7 days, call your doctor.
Risks and Warnings for Delsym (Dextromethorphan)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Using other medications that affect serotonin
Serotonin syndrome is a rare but potentially life-threatening condition when there's too much serotonin in the brain. The dextromethorphan in Delsym (Dextromethorphan), when used with other medicines that affect serotonin (antidepressants, lithium, triptans, St. John's wort), increases your risk for serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include fast heart rate, sweating, muscle stiffness or spasms, fever, and confusion. Get medical attention right away if you have these symptoms.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Delsym (Dextromethorphan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Works well, but makes me feel extremely drowsy and light-headedAge: 18Gender: ManTaken for: CoughDuration taken: Less than a week