Prevents seizures and stabilizes mood.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) is good long-term prevention for epilepsy, bipolar disorder, and migraines, but can cause weight gain.
- Lowers the frequency of seizures, especially for people with absence, tonic-clonic, and complex partial seizures.
- One of the first-line options to stabilize mood for people with bipolar disorder.
- Helpful in preventing frequent migraine headaches.
- Can cause upset stomach, hair loss, weight gain, sleepiness, and tremor.
- Can cause liver damage, so it's probably not safe if you already have liver problems.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Requires routine blood tests to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
Save on your next Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- Prices for (60) 500mg tablets of Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)
- Kroger Pharmacy
Side effects for Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)
From clinical trials of Depakote / Adjunctive therapy for epilepsy, complex partial seizures ( 147)
- NauseaNausea48% for Depakote vs.14% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache31% for Depakote vs.21% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness27% for Depakote vs.7% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting27% for Depakote vs.7% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness27% for Depakote vs.11% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness25% for Depakote vs.13% for placebo
- TremorTremor25% for Depakote vs.6% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain23% for Depakote vs.6% for placebo
- Double visionDouble vision16% for Depakote vs.9% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea13% for Depakote vs.6% for placebo
What to expect when you start Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- For the first week, avoid activities that require you to be alert.
- Don't use if pregnant.
- Requires routine blood tests.
- Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- May cause hair loss and weight gain.
- Different versions of Depakote have different dosing. Be careful.
- Report confusion, persistent abdominal pain, yellowing of eyes/skin, or easy bruising to your doctor.
- Takes 3 to 4 weeks to feel full effects on mood.
Risks and Warnings for Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) can cause birth defects. If you're considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medications.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can cause upset stomach, hair loss, weight gain, sleepiness, and tremor.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › May cause hair loss and weight gain.
- Noticeable weight gain around my gut. Had to start dieting and running on tread mill to combat the weight gain. Did not eliminate migraines, but made them less frequent and less intense. Now I can usually knock them out with a sumatriptan.AnonymousTaken for: Migraine preventionDuration taken: a year or so
- The side effects can be extreme: hand tremors, weight gain, memory issues, and others.Age: 35Gender: manTaken for: SeizuresDuration taken: two years or more
- Make sure and stick with the brand you start with. They say generics are identical but unfortunately that is not the case. Works well for managing mania. The "possible" side effect list should be renamed the eventual side effect list. Taking this drug will cause weight gain, hair loss and neurological side effects. I have thus far not experienced the pancreatic or renal side effects. Have been taking it for 18 years.Age: 40Gender: manTaken for: Bipolar I disorder (manic)