Prevents seizures and stabilizes mood.
Our bottom line
Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) is good long-term prevention for epilepsy, bipolar disorder, and migraines, but can cause weight gain.
- Lowers the frequency of seizures, especially for people with absence, tonic-clonic, and complex partial seizures.
- One of the first-line options to stabilize mood for people with bipolar disorder.
- Helpful in preventing frequent migraine headaches.
- Can cause upset stomach, hair loss, weight gain, sleepiness, and tremor.
- Can cause liver damage, so it's probably not safe if you already have liver problems.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Requires routine blood tests to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
Save on your next Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 500mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 500mg tablets of Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$69.60New price:$17.40Save:75%
- $179.00New price:$17.90Save:90%
- $177.64New price:$19.54Save:89%
What to expect when you take Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) for SeizuresSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- For the first week, avoid activities that require you to be alert.
- Don't use if pregnant.
- Requires routine blood tests.
- Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- May cause hair loss and weight gain.
- Different versions of Depakote have different dosing. Be careful.
- Report confusion, persistent abdominal pain, yellowing of eyes/skin, or easy bruising to your doctor.
- Takes 3 to 4 weeks to feel full effects on mood.
Side effects for Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)
From clinical trials of Depakote / Adjunctive therapy for epilepsy, complex partial seizures ( 147)
- NauseaNausea48% for Depakote vs.14% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache31% for Depakote vs.21% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness27% for Depakote vs.7% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting27% for Depakote vs.7% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness27% for Depakote vs.11% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness25% for Depakote vs.13% for placebo
- TremorTremor25% for Depakote vs.6% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain23% for Depakote vs.6% for placebo
- Double visionDouble vision16% for Depakote vs.9% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea13% for Depakote vs.6% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex) can cause birth defects. If you're considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medications.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Depacon (Valproate, Valproic Acid, Or Divalproex)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can cause upset stomach, hair loss, weight gain, sleepiness, and tremor.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › May cause hair loss and weight gain.
- Noticeable weight gain around my gut. Had to start dieting and running on tread mill to combat the weight gain. Did not eliminate migraines, but made them less frequent and less intense. Now I can usually knock them out with a sumatriptan.
- The side effects can be extreme: hand tremors, weight gain, memory issues, and others.
- Be aware that if you are getting better, you'll need to lower your dose, and do it as soon as you can. I've been feeling better, but I started to get more sleepy and I could not wake up in the mornings because I couldn't listen to my alarms. Other than that, and the weight gain, it's amazing.