Helps you stay awake and focus.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) is an effective and cheap medication used to treat ADHD, but it can be habit-forming and is not used for long-term treatment.
- Recommended as a first-choice medication to treat ADHD in both adults and children.
- Available as a generic, so it is cheaper than other medications used to treat ADHD.
- Available in an immediate release and extended release form, which allows for once or twice a day dosing.
- Fruit juice lowers the amount of Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) that gets into your body.
- If you want to stop taking Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine), you have to talk to your doctor since stopping cold turkey can cause withdrawal symptoms.
- Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) is usually not used long-term since it can be habit-forming.
Save on your next Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 5mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 5mg tablets of Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy
Side effects for Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine)
What to expect when you take Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take your last dose before early afternoon, otherwise you won't be able to sleep.
- Don't take with fruit juice or vitamin C, because they'll lower the amount of Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) that gets into your body.
- Can affect your concentration, so don't drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how your body reacts to it.
- If you've been taking Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) for a while and decide to stop it, you'll experience withdrawal symptoms if you stop it too fast.
- Can cause reduced appetite, insomnia, and restlessness.
Risks and Warnings for Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) has been associated with heart attack, stroke, and sudden death. Anyone with a history of heart problems shouldn't take it, and people should be screened for heart problems before starting it. Watch out for unexplained fainting or chest pain that comes on with physical activity.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Don't take more that prescribed or mix it with alcohol. Can be pretty addictive and if you stop taking it after a long time you will feel a total lack of energy etcAge: 25Gender: ManTaken for: ADHD
- the capsules (versus tablets) are easier on the stomach when taking initial dose before breakfastAge: 60Gender: ManTaken for: ADHD
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take your last dose before early afternoon, otherwise you won't be able to sleep.
- Take one 5mg tablet in morning when needed and helps me stay clear headed for 8-10 hours. No trouble sleeping at night, wake up with clear head no fuzziness. Best thing since sliced bread.Age: 65Gender: ManTaken for: ADHD
- With excessive daytime sleepiness, my tolerance builds up fast. It works great till the minute it wears off and I'm sleeping in public. Frequent low-mid dosing works for me.Age: 29Gender: WomanTaken for: Narcolepsy, Idiopathic HypersomniaDuration taken: A few months
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Appetite suppression can occur. In clinical studies, long-term treatment with stimulants similar to Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) caused a temporary slowing of growth rate (both height and weight) in children who started the medication before they started puberty. Doctors should monitor children's growth during treatment.
- make sure to eat throught the day even if you don't feel hungry. you will definitely lose weight taking this medication if you dont eat regularlyAge: 17Gender: WomanTaken for: ADDDuration taken: A few months