Treats heartburn and ulcers.
Our bottom line
Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) is an effective medicine to treat heartburn and ulcers, but can be expensive.
- Relieves heartburn symptoms and heals ulcers better than other stomach medicines, such as Pepcid, Tagamet, and Zantac.
- Lasts longer than other similar stomach medicines. Most people take it once a day.
- Your body won't develop a tolerance to Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole), so it'll work the same way as long as you need to keep taking it.
- Once heartburn symptoms are treated, a low dose of Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) can be taken daily.
- Taking Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) in high doses or for longer than 1 year can increase the risk for bone fractures, especially if you already have osteoporosis (weak bones).
- Many drugs can interact with Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole), so talk to your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medicines.
- There's no generic version available, so it can be expensive.
Save on your next Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 60mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 60mg capsules of Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$292.85New price:$257.71Save:12%
- $303.59New price:$258.05Save:15%
- $330.56New price:$261.14Save:21%
- Rite-Aid$329.74New price:$263.79Save:20%
- $303.84New price:$267.38Save:12%
What to expect when you take Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can take a few days to start working.
- Take Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) with or without food. It can work better for some people if it's taken 30 minutes before a meal.
- Call your doctor if you have watery stools, stomach pain, or a fever because it could be a sign of a serious infection.
- Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) can lower the amount of magnesium in your body. Initial and follow-up blood tests may be needed before starting Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole).
Side effects for Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)
From clinical trials of Dexilant / Acid reflux ( 3517)
- DiarrheaDiarrhea5% for Dexilant vs.3% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain4% for Dexilant vs.4% for placebo
- NauseaNausea3% for Dexilant vs.3% for placebo
- Ear, nose, or throat infectionEar, nose, or throat infection2% for Dexilant vs.1% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting2% for Dexilant vs.1% for placebo
- Passing gasPassing gas2% for Dexilant vs.1% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea1% for Dexilant vs.0% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Heartburn and feelings of upset stomach can be warning signs of a more serious stomach problem or cancer. If you need to take Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) for 2 weeks or more go see a doctor. It's safest to get checked out to make sure you do not have a serious stomach condition.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take before acidic dinner/alcohol. Do not take with other meds in morning. Cancels out antidepressants.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) with or without food. It can work better for some people if it's taken 30 minutes before a meal.
- You can't take iron supplements with it so make sure you're getting enough with the food you eat.