Treats heartburn and ulcers.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) is an effective medicine to treat heartburn and ulcers, but can be expensive.
- Relieves heartburn symptoms and heals ulcers better than other stomach medicines, such as Pepcid, Tagamet, and Zantac.
- Lasts longer than other similar stomach medicines. Most people take it once a day.
- Your body won't develop a tolerance to Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole), so it'll work the same way as long as you need to keep taking it.
- Once heartburn symptoms are treated, a low dose of Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) can be taken daily.
- Taking Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) in high doses or for longer than 1 year can increase the risk for bone fractures, especially if you already have osteoporosis (weak bones).
- Many drugs can interact with Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole), so talk to your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medicines.
- There's no generic version available, so it can be expensive.
Save on your next Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)
From clinical trials of Dexilant / Acid reflux ( 3517)
- DiarrheaDiarrhea5% for Dexilant vs.3% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain4% for Dexilant vs.4% for placebo
- NauseaNausea3% for Dexilant vs.3% for placebo
- Ear, nose, or throat infectionEar, nose, or throat infection2% for Dexilant vs.1% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting2% for Dexilant vs.1% for placebo
- Passing gasPassing gas2% for Dexilant vs.1% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea1% for Dexilant vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you start Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can take a few days to start working.
- Take Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) with or without food. It can work better for some people if it's taken 30 minutes before a meal.
- Call your doctor if you have watery stools, stomach pain, or a fever because it could be a sign of a serious infection.
- Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) can lower the amount of magnesium in your body. Initial and follow-up blood tests may be needed before starting Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole).
Risks and Warnings for Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Heartburn and feelings of upset stomach can be warning signs of a more serious stomach problem or cancer. If you need to take Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) for 2 weeks or more go see a doctor. It's safest to get checked out to make sure you do not have a serious stomach condition.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take before acidic dinner/alcohol. Do not take with other meds in morning. Cancels out antidepressants.Age: 56Gender: womanTaken for: Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take Dexilant (Dexlansoprazole) with or without food. It can work better for some people if it's taken 30 minutes before a meal.