Lowers blood pressure.
Our bottom line
Diovan (Valsartan) is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function like an ACE inhibitor, but with fewer side effects.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Similar to ACE inhibitors (like Lisinopril), with fewer side effects like cough and swelling.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Diovan (Valsartan) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 160mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 160mg tablets of Diovan (Valsartan) at pharmacies
- $157.10New price:$15.71Save:90%
- Kroger Pharmacy$101.31New price:$16.21Save:84%
- $139.95New price:$29.39Save:79%
- $146.15New price:$57.00Save:61%
What to expect when you take Diovan (Valsartan) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or throat irritation that doesn't go away.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Don't take it if you're pregnant.
Side effects for Diovan (Valsartan)
From clinical trials of Diovan / After heart attack ( 4885)
- Low blood pressureLow blood pressure1% for Diovan vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Increased blood creatinine
Risks and Warnings for Diovan (Valsartan)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Diovan (Valsartan) can cause birth defects or death to a fetus. If you are pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Diovan (Valsartan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Causes weight gain and doesn't control systolic pressure.