Treats bacterial infections.
Our bottom line
Vibramycin (Doxycycline) is good for treating many bacterial infections. It is also available as generic. However, it can make birth control pills less effective. You also have to protect yourself against sunburn.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Can't be used in pregnant women and children under 8 years old.
- Makes your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Has to be taken with plenty of water and food and you have to stay upright for 30 minutes afterwards to avoid stomach irritation.
- Can make birth control less effective.
- Can cause diarrhea.
Vibramycin (Doxycycline) is a tetracycline antibiotic. It stops bacteria by preventing them from reproducing and repairing themselves.
What to expect when you take Vibramycin (doxycycline) for InfectionSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Vibramycin (doxycycline)
- Any adverse event
- Bacterial vaginitis
- Upper abdominal pain
- Vaginal yeast infection
Risks and Warnings for Vibramycin (doxycycline)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Age 8 years or younger
This medication can cause changes in the color and development of teeth in fetuses and in children younger than 8 years old. Your doctor will recommend alternative medications.