Lowers blood pressure.
Our bottom line
Dutoprol (Metoprolol Succinate / Hydrochlorothiazide) helps lower blood pressure by working in two different ways in your body. It's good for stubbornly high blood pressure.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Combines the benefits of two blood pressure-lowering medicines in a single pill.
- Helpful in getting rid of extra fluids in your body.
- Not the first choice to lower blood pressure.
- Brand only, can be more expensive.
- Can make you urinate more often and feel out of breath during physical activities, which may not go away.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar. Be careful if you're diabetic.
- Forgetting to take the medicine or stopping it suddenly can cause a heart attack.
Dutoprol (Metoprolol Succinate / Hydrochlorothiazide) is a combination medicine that helps control your blood pressure and reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that removes extra water from your body. Metoprolol is a beta blocker that lowers your heart rate.
What to expect when you take Dutoprol (metoprolol succinate / hydrochlorothiazide) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Dutoprol (metoprolol succinate / hydrochlorothiazide)
- Common cold
- Any side effect
- Back pain
Risks and Warnings for Dutoprol (metoprolol succinate / hydrochlorothiazide)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Sudden discontinuation of medicine
Stopping Dutoprol (Metoprolol Succinate / Hydrochlorothiazide) suddenly can cause an irregular fast heartbeat, high blood pressure, poor blood circulation to your heart, and increase your risk of chest pain or heart attack. Work with your doctor to gradually reduce your dose if you would like to stop taking Dutoprol (Metoprolol Succinate / Hydrochlorothiazide).
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Dutoprol (metoprolol succinate / hydrochlorothiazide)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Check your blood pressure and kidney function 1 week after starting the medicine, then routinely after that.