Prevents blood clots.
Our bottom line
Eliquis (Apixaban) is an easy to use and effective way to prevent blood clots from forming in your veins.
- Eliquis (Apixaban) is very effective in reducing the threat of stroke in people with Afib or other clotting disorders.
- Eliquis (Apixaban) doesn't require regular blood testing and doesn't have dietary restrictions.
- If you've had clots in your legs or lungs before, Eliquis (Apixaban) can lower the risk of these forming again.
- You can bruise easier and if you cut yourself, it'll take longer to stop the bleeding. Always look for signs of internal bleeding, such as dark urine or blood in your stool.
- Can't be used if you have artificial heart valves.
- Never stop taking Eliquis (Apixaban) without talking to your doctor first.
- Eliquis (Apixaban) isn't available as a generic, so it can be pricey.
Eliquis (Apixaban) is a factor Xa inhibitor anticoagulant and prevents the formation of blood clots in your veins.
Side effect rates for Eliquis (apixaban)
- Major bleed
- Nonmajor bleeding
Risks and Warnings for Eliquis (apixaban)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Stopping Eliquis (Apixaban) early
Don't stop taking Eliquis (Apixaban) before your doctor tells you to. You could be at a higher risk for stroke or heart attack, especially if you have certain heart rate problems, like atrial fibrillation. Talk to your doctor if you're interested in stopping this medicine or switching to a different one.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Eliquis (apixaban)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take twice a day, with or without food, at the same time each day.
- Eliquis (Apixaban) is processed by the kidney and liver. If you have kidney or liver problems, talk to your doctor about possibly switching to a different medicine to prevent increased risk for side effects.