Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Enalapril is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- The only ACE inhibitor that doctors can give through an IV if that's needed.
- Up to 1 in 10 people can get a dry cough with this medicine. It ranges from a mild tickle in the throat to a persistent hacking cough.
- Compared to other ACE inhibitors, less flexible on when you take it. Enalapril needs to be taken multiple times a day on an empty stomach.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Vasotec (Enalapril) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 20mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 20mg tablets of Vasotec (Enalapril) at pharmacies
- Sams Club$70.43New price:$55.64Save21%
- Kroger Pharmacy
- $178.50New price:$160.65Save10%
Side effects for Vasotec (Enalapril)
From clinical trials of Enalapril / High blood pressure ( 2544)
- HeadacheHeadache5% for Enalapril vs.9% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness4% for Enalapril vs.4% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue3% for Enalapril vs.3% for placebo
- Orthostatic effectsOrthostatic effects1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea1% for Enalapril vs.2% for placebo
- NauseaNausea1% for Enalapril vs.2% for placebo
- CoughCough1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Vasotec (Enalapril)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or throat irritation that doesn't go away.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Don't take it if you're pregnant.
Risks and Warnings for Vasotec (Enalapril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Vasotec (Enalapril) can cause birth defects or death to a fetus. If you are pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Vasotec (Enalapril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.