Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Enalapril is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- The only ACE inhibitor that doctors can give through an IV if that's needed.
- Up to 1 in 10 people can get a dry cough with this medicine. It ranges from a mild tickle in the throat to a persistent hacking cough.
- Compared to other ACE inhibitors, less flexible on when you take it. Enalapril needs to be taken multiple times a day on an empty stomach.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Vasotec (Enalapril) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Vasotec (Enalapril)
From clinical trials of Enalapril / High blood pressure ( 2544)
- HeadacheHeadache5% for Enalapril vs.9% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness4% for Enalapril vs.4% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue3% for Enalapril vs.3% for placebo
- Orthostatic effectsOrthostatic effects1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea1% for Enalapril vs.2% for placebo
- NauseaNausea1% for Enalapril vs.2% for placebo
- CoughCough1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Enalapril vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you start Vasotec (Enalapril)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or throat irritation that doesn't go away.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Don't take it if you're pregnant.
Risks and Warnings for Vasotec (Enalapril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Vasotec (Enalapril) can cause birth defects or death to a fetus. If you are pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Vasotec (Enalapril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.