Prevents bone loss and lowers your risk of breast cancer.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Evista (Raloxifene) is effective at reducing bone loss and lowering the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women, but does carry the risk of blood clots.
- Evista (Raloxifene) doesn’t affect the breast or uterus the same way that estrogen does, so the risk of cancer is much lower.
- Taking Evista (Raloxifene) with calcium and vitamin D improves spine and hip bone health and lowers the risk of fractures.
- Lowers total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the bad cholesterol).
- Can only take Evista (Raloxifene) once you’re in menopause. You can't take it if you're pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Evista (Raloxifene) isn’t as effective as tamoxifen at lowering the risk of invasive breast cancer.
- Shouldn’t take it with any other forms of estrogen (pills, patches, or injection).
- It doesn’t increase bone strength as much as estrogen does and isn’t effective for treating hot flashes.
Save on your next Evista (Raloxifene) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 60mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 60mg tablets of Evista (Raloxifene) at pharmacies
- $220.19New price:$59.45Save:73%
- Kroger Pharmacy$159.06New price:$74.76Save:53%
- $197.59New price:$86.94Save:56%
- Rite-Aid$216.37New price:$93.04Save:57%
- $193.82New price:$96.91Save:50%
Side effects for Evista (Raloxifene)
From clinical trials of Evista / Osteoporosis (60 mg) ( 10101)
- Any side effectAny side effect25% for Evista vs.24% for placebo
- Leg or ankle swellingLeg or ankle swelling14% for Evista vs.12% for placebo
- Muscle spasms/leg crampsMuscle spasms/leg cramps12% for Evista vs.8% for placebo
- Hot flashesHot flashes8% for Evista vs.5% for placebo
- GallstonesGallstones3% for Evista vs.3% for placebo
- Venous thromboembolic eventsVenous thromboembolic events2% for Evista vs.1% for placebo
What to expect when you take Evista (Raloxifene)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take 1 tablet daily with or without food about the same time each day. It’s important to read the information you get with your medicine about how to take Evista (Raloxifene).
- Your doctor may tell you to take calcium and vitamin D with Evista (Raloxifene) to prevent osteoporosis (bone thinning and loss), especially if you don’t get enough in your diet.
- Regular exercise, cutting back on smoking, and drinking less alcohol can also reduce your risk of bone loss.
Risks and Warnings for Evista (Raloxifene)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of stroke
- › Heart and blood vessel problems
- › History of mini stroke (TIA)
- › Atrial fibrillation
- › Smoking
- › High blood pressure
Evista (Raloxifene) can cause increase the risk of stroke. The risk is greater in women with a history of stroke or TIA, who have heart disease, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure and who smoke.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Evista (Raloxifene)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Regular exercise, cutting back on smoking, and drinking less alcohol can also reduce your risk of bone loss.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take 1 tablet daily with or without food about the same time each day. It’s important to read the information you get with your medicine about how to take Evista (Raloxifene).
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Evista (Raloxifene) is processed by the kidney and liver. If you have kidney or liver problems, talk to your doctor because you may need a different dose.