Helps get things moving.
Over-the-counterLower-cost generic available
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Fibercon (Calcium Polycarbophil) is a natural fiber laxative that's safe enough to take during pregnancy. Just make sure you take it with plenty of liquid.
Worth it?Is it worth it?
Works well?Does it work?
Hassle?Is it a hassle?
- Some people felt Fibercon was a hassle but still worth it.
- It's safe to use short-term during pregnancy and breast-feeding as long as you take it with plenty of liquid, but you should still check with your baby doctor first.
- Less gas and bloating compared to psyllium laxative products.
- You may have to take Fibercon daily for 1-3 days to see full effects.
- If you don't take it with enough liquid, it could swell and block your throat and cause choking.
- Not the best choice for people who have swallowing problems or aren't able to drink lots of liquids.
- Can cause heartburn, gas, and belly cramps.
Loading pricing data...
Skip side effects sections. Skip to What to Expect and Pharmacists Tips section.
Side effects for Fibercon (Calcium Polycarbophil)
What to expect when you take Fibercon (Calcium Polycarbophil)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Tips from our pharmacists
- It's important to take each dose with at least 8 ounces (a full glass) of water or other liquid. Works in about 12-72 hours.
- Don't take more than 8 caplets in a 24 hour period without asking your doctor first and not for more than one week.
- Don't take Fibercon within 2 hours before or after taking other medicines. It may interact and affect how they work.
- If you take Fibercon then have chest pain, vomiting, trouble breathing or swallowing, get medical help immediately.
- Ask your doctor before taking Fibercon if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting or had sudden changes in your stool for more than 2 weeks.
- Ask your doctor about giving Fibercon to anyone younger than 12 years.
- Talk to you doctor about eating certain foods and getting more exercise to help prevent your constipation.
Risks and Warnings for Fibercon (Calcium Polycarbophil)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking with calcium supplements
- › Taking with oral bisphosphonates
Fibercon (Calcium Polycarbophil) can affect how other medicines are absorbed in the body when you take them together. Make sure you take it 2 hours before or after other medicines and vitamins.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Fibercon (Calcium Polycarbophil)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Talk to you doctor about eating certain foods and getting more exercise to help prevent your constipation.