Makes it easier to urinate.
Our bottom line
Flomax (Tamsulosin) is a first-choice treatment for enlarged prostate, and it's available as a generic. However, it can cause changes in your sex drive and can take a while to kick in.
- First-choice medication for relieving the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
- Helps make urinating easier.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Also available in a combination form with another medication to treat more severe symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
- Since it works only on the muscles around the prostate, it has fewer blood pressure and heart-related side effects than other medicines in the same class.
- Has to be taken the same time every day.
- It can take up to one month to see the full effects of the medication.
- Can reduce sex drive.
- Flomax (Tamsulosin) can't be stopped suddenly, so you'll need to talk to your doctor about how to stop taking it safely.
- It doesn't shrink the size of the prostate.
Flomax (Tamsulosin) is an alpha-1 blocker. It specifically targets and relaxes muscles in your prostate, which makes it easier to urinate.
What to expect when you take Flomax (tamsulosin) for Prostate (BPH)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Flomax (tamsulosin)
- Inflammation inside the nose
- Muscle weakness
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Back pain
- Sore throat
- Chest pain
Risks and Warnings for Flomax (tamsulosin)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking medications for high blood pressure
People on Flomax (Tamsulosin) can experience lowered blood pressure which can cause dizziness and falls. This usually happens when you first start taking the medication. Your body should adjust to it after the first few days. Be very careful getting up from a sitting or lying down position.
Common concerns from people taking Flomax (tamsulosin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Can cause dizziness, muscle pain, headache and stuffy/runny nose.
- No ejaculate. Erection problems.
- Caused drowsiness and congestion