Prevents breathing problems.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone) is good at controlling and preventing asthma symptoms when you take it every day.
- Relieves symptoms and improves control of asthma.
- People report fewer asthma symptoms and better lung function when they take it every day.
- Inhaling this medicine (rather than taking an oral steroid) gets more into the lungs and less into rest of your body, which lowers the risk of side effects. Inhaled corticosteroids can be used safely for years compared to oral corticosteroids like prednisone.
- Available as both an inhaler and Diskus device.
- You have to use Fluticasone every day to control your symptoms.
- You can't lower the dose or stop taking it too suddenly.
- Steroids can slow height growth in kids.
- Because steroids suppress your immune system, you can catch bacterial and viral infections easier, and they can take longer to go away.
- Can cause new or worsening eye pressure, glaucoma, and cataracts.
Side effects for Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone)
From clinical trials of Flovent / Asthma (50 mcg Twice Daily) ( 721)
- Ear, nose, or throat infectionEar, nose, or throat infection20% for Fluticasone vs.16% for placebo
- Throat irritationThroat irritation13% for Fluticasone vs.8% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache12% for Fluticasone vs.7% for placebo
- Sinusitis/sinus infectionSinusitis/sinus infection9% for Fluticasone vs.6% for placebo
- Nausea and vomitingNausea and vomiting8% for Fluticasone vs.4% for placebo
- FeverFever7% for Fluticasone vs.4% for placebo
- Upper respiratory inflammationUpper respiratory inflammation5% for Fluticasone vs.3% for placebo
- Gastrointestinal discomfort and painGastrointestinal discomfort and pain4% for Fluticasone vs.3% for placebo
- Inflammation inside the noseInflammation inside the nose4% for Fluticasone vs.2% for placebo
- Musculoskeletal painMusculoskeletal pain4% for Fluticasone vs.2% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Oral candidiasis
What to expect when you start Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Use it every day to control your asthma symptoms.
- Can take 2 weeks or more to feel full effects.
- Pump the inhaler 4 times before your first dose, or if it's been more than 7 days since your last dose.
- Wait at least 1 minute between doses.
- Rinse your out mouth with water after each use.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds after using Advair Diskus.
- Don't breathe out into the inhaler mouthpiece.
- Tell your doctor if the medication stops working or if your symptoms get worse.
- Diskus contains lactose, so don't use it if you're allergic to milk protein.
Risks and Warnings for Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Lowering dose or stopping too quickly especially after long-term treatment
- › Stress such as trauma, surgery or infection
Adrenal suppression can occur if you lower your dose or stop taking Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone) too quickly. Symptoms include joint or muscle pain, extreme low energy and depression. Changes in your medication need to be done slowly and over time. Talk to your doctor before you decrease or stop Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone).