Helps you focus and stay alert.
Our bottom line
Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) is a first-choice treatment for ADHD that's available as a generic, but it's a stimulant, so it can cause insomnia and other side effects.
- (60) 10mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 10mg tablets of Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) at pharmacies
- $80.43New price:$48.26Save:40%
- Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) is used in combination with counseling or other non-drug therapies to treat ADHD.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Available in both an immediate-release form, which is given twice a day, and an extended-release form, which is given once a day.
- Capsules can be opened and sprinkled in water or applesauce for people who don't like swallowing pills.
- Needs to be taken in the morning and early afternoon, or else it can cause insomnia later that night.
- It's a controlled medication and should be locked up to prevent potential abuse.
What to expect when you take Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) for Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate)
Risks and Warnings for Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) 14 days before starting
Taking Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) when you've recently stopped taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors within the last two weeks can cause your blood pressure to rise very high. Go to the emergency room or talk to your doctor immediately if you feel dizzy or faint or have a very bad headache.
Common concerns from people taking Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Couldn't breath through my nose the whole winter - medication dried out mucous membranes completely. Emotions extreme.
- Don't take it with alcohol or drugs.