Helps you focus and stay alert.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) is a first-choice treatment for ADHD that's available as a generic, but it's a stimulant, so it can cause insomnia and other side effects.
- Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) is used in combination with counseling or other non-drug therapies to treat ADHD.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Available in both an immediate-release form, which is given twice a day, and an extended-release form, which is given once a day.
- Capsules can be opened and sprinkled in water or applesauce for people who don't like swallowing pills.
- Needs to be taken in the morning and early afternoon, or else it can cause insomnia later that night.
- It's a controlled medication and should be locked up to prevent potential abuse.
Save on your next Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate)
What to expect when you start Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Store Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) in a locked area to prevent abuse.
- Take it early in the morning to prevent insomnia later that night.
- It can cause changes in your mood and vision.
- Can raise your blood pressure and pulse, so it's not safe for people with heart problems.
- Don't take it with alcohol or drugs.
- The extended-release capsules can be opened and sprinkled on a small amount of applesauce.
- Common side effects include a decreased appetite, nausea, and insomnia.
Risks and Warnings for Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) 14 days before starting
Taking Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) when you've recently stopped taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors within the last two weeks can cause your blood pressure to rise very high. Go to the emergency room or talk to your doctor immediately if you feel dizzy or faint or have a very bad headache.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Don't take it with alcohol or drugs.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › There have been reports of men having an erection lasting more than 4 hours while on Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate). This has been rare. If not treated in time, this can cause permanent damage to your penis, including impotence. Talk to your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room if this happens.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Appetite suppression may occur. In clinical studies, long-term treatment with stimulants similar to Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) caused a temporary slowing of growth rate (both height and weight) in children who started the medication between ages 7 and 10. Doctors should monitor children's growth during treatment.