Prevents bone loss.
Our bottom line
Forteo (Teriparatide) is a good second-choice medication to treat bone loss, but it's only available as an injectable.
- (1) 2.4ml of 20mcg/dose pen
- Cost for (1) 2.4ml of 20mcg/dose pen of Forteo (Teriparatide) at pharmacies
- If you're unable to use bisphosphonates or are still having fractures despite being on other medications, Forteo (Teriparatide) can be a good alternative.
- You can start using Forteo (Teriparatide) as soon as you stop using bisphosphonates.
- Only available as a brand medication, so it can be expensive.
- You have to inject this every day, so it may not be a good option if you don't like needles.
- Shouldn't take this longer than 18 to 24 months since it can increase the risk of bone cancers.
Side effect rates for Forteo (Teriparatide)
Risks and Warnings for Forteo (Teriparatide)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Paget's bone disease
- › Young people with open epiphyses
In studies with animals, Forteo (Teriparatide) caused an increase in the incidence of osteosarcoma (a malignant bone tumor) that was dependent on the medication dose and treatment duration. Forteo (Teriparatide) shouldn't be prescribed for people with a higher risk of bone cancer, including people with Paget's bone disease and young people with open epiphyses. People are encouraged to enroll in the voluntary patient registry program, which is designed to collect information about people with risk factors who are taking Forteo (Teriparatide).
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Forteo (Teriparatide)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Forteo (Teriparatide) can cause kidney stones, especially if you have high calcium levels in your urine. If kidney stones are suspected, your doctor can measure the amount of calcium in your urine to see if you are at risk. Be careful using this medication if you have a history of kidney stones.
- lots of early side effects--bone and joint pain. have dissipated. bad cramps