Prevents bone loss.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Forteo (Teriparatide) is a good second-choice medication to treat bone loss, but it's only available as an injectable.
- If you're unable to use bisphosphonates or are still having fractures despite being on other medications, Forteo (Teriparatide) can be a good alternative.
- You can start using Forteo (Teriparatide) as soon as you stop using bisphosphonates.
- Only available as a brand medication, so it can be expensive.
- You have to inject this every day, so it may not be a good option if you don't like needles.
- Shouldn't take this longer than 18 to 24 months since it can increase the risk of bone cancers.
Save on your next Forteo (Teriparatide) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 2.4ml of 20mcg/dose pen
- Cost for (1) 2.4ml of 20mcg/dose pen of Forteo (Teriparatide) at pharmacies
- $3230.51New price:$2810.54Save:13%
Side effects for Forteo (Teriparatide)
From clinical trials of Forteo / Osteoporosis ( 1382)
- PainPain21% for Forteo vs.21% for placebo
- Joint painJoint pain10% for Forteo vs.8% for placebo
- Inflammation inside the noseInflammation inside the nose10% for Forteo vs.9% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness9% for Forteo vs.7% for placebo
- NauseaNausea9% for Forteo vs.7% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache8% for Forteo vs.7% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness8% for Forteo vs.5% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect7% for Forteo vs.6% for placebo
- High blood pressureHigh blood pressure7% for Forteo vs.7% for placebo
- Sore throatSore throat6% for Forteo vs.5% for placebo
What to expect when you take Forteo (Teriparatide)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- You should be sitting or lying down when you inject Forteo (Teriparatide) since it can make you dizzy.
- You should inject Forteo (Teriparatide) under the skin in either your thigh or stomach.
- Make sure the liquid in the vial of Forteo (Teriparatide) is clear and colorless before you inject it. Don't use it if it looks cloudy, colored, or if you see particles inside.
Risks and Warnings for Forteo (Teriparatide)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Paget's bone disease
- › Young people with open epiphyses
In studies with animals, Forteo (Teriparatide) caused an increase in the incidence of osteosarcoma (a malignant bone tumor) that was dependent on the medication dose and treatment duration. Forteo (Teriparatide) shouldn't be prescribed for people with a higher risk of bone cancer, including people with Paget's bone disease and young people with open epiphyses. People are encouraged to enroll in the voluntary patient registry program, which is designed to collect information about people with risk factors who are taking Forteo (Teriparatide).
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Forteo (Teriparatide)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Forteo (Teriparatide) can cause kidney stones, especially if you have high calcium levels in your urine. If kidney stones are suspected, your doctor can measure the amount of calcium in your urine to see if you are at risk. Be careful using this medication if you have a history of kidney stones.