Treats low testosterone.
Prescription onlyNo lower cost generic available
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
This testosterone gel is a convenient topical form of hormone replacement that's less likely to rub off on other people you come into contact with, but it's not available as a generic yet.
- You apply it to your thighs like a lotion.
- Putting testosterone gel on your thights makes it less likely you'll transfer the medication to other people around you, compared to some other kinds of topical testosterone.
- Not available in generic form, so it can be more expensive.
- You have to wait at least 2 hours after applying testosterone gel before you can swim or bathe, otherwise your body won't absorb the full amount of the medication.
Loading pricing data...
Skip side effects sections. Skip to What to Expect and Pharmacists Tips section.
Side effects for Fortesta (Testosterone Gel)
From clinical trials of Fortesta / Testosterone replacement ( 149)
- Skin reactionSkin reaction16% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Prostatic specific antigen increasedProstatic specific antigen increased1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Abnormal dreamsAbnormal dreams1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Application site reactionApplication site reaction1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Gastrointestinal hypomobilityGastrointestinal hypomobility1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Severe dyspneaSevere dyspnea1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
- Moderate contusionModerate contusion1% for Testosterone gel vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Fortesta (Testosterone Gel)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Tips from our pharmacists
- Prime testosterone gel first by pumping 8 times before you use a new bottle.
- Don't swim or bathe for at least 2 hours after you apply testosterone gel.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, and cover the area with clothing as soon as the gel is dry so you don't spread it to other people.
- If you think you'll have skin-to-skin contact at the area where you've placed testosterone gel, wash that area with soap and water then dry.
- Don't use testosterone gel anywhere besides your front and inner thighs.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Fortesta (Testosterone Gel)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?