Treats relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Gilenya (Fingolimod) is an oral medication that has a lot of side effects, but it reduces the number of flare-ups, slows physical changes, and decreases the number of new brain lesions in relapsing MS.
- Gilenya (Fingolimod) is the first once-daily pill you can take for relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Studies show it lowers relapse rates better than placebo and Avonex, and it delays the progression of physical disabilites better than placebo.
- Gilenya also reduced the number of new MS lesions better than Avonex.
- Taking more than the 0.5 mg dose won't give more benefits, but will only cause more side effects.
- Gilenya can remain in your blood for up to 2 months after you stop taking it. Your immune response won't work as well during this time.
- Not the best choice if you've had a heart attack, stroke, or have been in the hospital for heart failure in the past 6 months. The risk of serious heart rate effects is higher when taken with certain drugs (methadone, erythromycin, citalopram, ketoconazole) or if you have low potassium or magnesium.
- If you have to re-start Gilenya after stopping it for 2 weeks or more, you'll have to take your first dose at your doctor's office again.
- If you didn't get chicken pox and never had a vaccination, you'll need to be vaccinated and wait one month before starting Gilenya.
Save on your next Gilenya (Fingolimod) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 28 capsules of 0.5mg package
- Cost for (1) 28 capsules of 0.5mg package of Gilenya (Fingolimod) at pharmacies
Side effects for Gilenya (Fingolimod)
From clinical trials of Gilenya / Multiple sclerosis (.5 mg) ( 843)
- HeadacheHeadache25% for Gilenya vs.23% for placebo
- Alt/ast increasedAlt/ast increased14% for Gilenya vs.5% for placebo
- Influenza viral infectionsInfluenza viral infections13% for Gilenya vs.10% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea12% for Gilenya vs.7% for placebo
- Back painBack pain12% for Gilenya vs.7% for placebo
- CoughCough10% for Gilenya vs.8% for placebo
- Herpes viral infectionsHerpes viral infections9% for Gilenya vs.8% for placebo
- Shortness of breathShortness of breath8% for Gilenya vs.5% for placebo
- Low mood disorderLow mood disorder8% for Gilenya vs.7% for placebo
- BronchitisBronchitis8% for Gilenya vs.4% for placebo
What to expect when you take Gilenya (Fingolimod)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take one capsule daily with or without food.
- It's very important you read the Gilenya Medication Guide. Don't change your dose or stop the medicine without asking your doctor.
- You'll need to be watched for at least 6 hours in a doctor's office after taking your first dose because it can cause serious heart rate and blood pressure problems.
- Gilenya increases your risk of infections. Get blood tests 6 months before starting treatment.
- Use effective birth control or plan to stop Gilenya 2 months before getting pregnant. If you do become pregnant while on Gilenya (Fingolimod), you'll need to enroll in the Gilenya pregnancy registry.
- Tell your doctor if you've had any vaccines recently. Don't get any live vaccines while taking Gilenya.
- Your doctor will monitor your eyes, lungs, and liver for up to 2 months after stopping Gilenya.
Risks and Warnings for Gilenya (Fingolimod)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking with drugs that slow heart rate
- › History of heart problems
You'll have to take the first does in a medical facility with your doctor or medical staff watching how your body reacts. Gilenya (Fingolimod) can cause your heart rate to slow down, especially for 6 to 24 hours after your first dose. Your heart rate should return to normal within one month after you start taking Gilenya (Fingolimod). Call your doctor or get medical care right away if you have slow heart rate, dizziness, tiredness, or if you feel like your heart is skipping beats.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Gilenya (Fingolimod)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Dont drink alcoholAge: 37Gender: ManTaken for: Relapsing remitting multiple sclerosisDuration taken: Two years or more
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take one capsule daily with or without food.