Lowers blood sugar.
Our bottom line
This form of insulin is one of the few medications in its class that you can get without a prescription, but it's expensive.
- Some types of this medication are available without a prescription.
- Available as a shot to be injected into the fatty part of the skin, and as a powder to be inhaled through your nose.
- Available in different combinations so that you can do one shot or multiple shots a day.
- Has to be taken exactly as directed or it can cause high or low blood sugar.
- As with all insulins, you have to work with your doctor closely to make sure you're giving yourself the correct dose, or you can have low or high blood sugar.
Insulin is a hormone normally produced by your pancreas. It helps your body absorb and store sugar and fat from your bloodstream.
Side effect rates for Humulin (human insulin)
Risks and Warnings for Humulin (human insulin)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
Humulin (Human Insulin) can cause low or high blood sugar if you're not using it correctly. Take this medication exactly how your doctor tells you, and make sure that you know what the signs and symptoms of low and high blood sugar are.
Common concerns from people taking Humulin (human insulin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- People on Humulin (Human Insulin) can experience weight gain. Talk to your doctor or dietitian about changing your diet if this bothers you.