Lowers blood sugar.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
This form of insulin is one of the few medications in its class that you can get without a prescription, but it's expensive.
- Some types of this medication are available without a prescription.
- Available as a shot to be injected into the fatty part of the skin, and as a powder to be inhaled through your nose.
- Available in different combinations so that you can do one shot or multiple shots a day.
- Has to be taken exactly as directed or it can cause high or low blood sugar.
- As with all insulins, you have to work with your doctor closely to make sure you're giving yourself the correct dose, or you can have low or high blood sugar.
Side effects for Humulin (Human Insulin)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormal behavior
- Blurred vision
- Depressed mood
- Fat redistribution
- Heart pounding or racing sensation
- Inability to concentrate
- Leg or ankle swelling
- Low blood potassium
- Personality changes
- Sleep disturbances
- Slurred speech
- Tingling in the hands, feet, lips, or tongue
- Unsteady movement
- Weight gain
What to expect when you take Humulin (Human Insulin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Change the location where you give yourself the shot every time.
- Don't use if the liquid in the vial looks different than normal.
- Store the unopened vials in the refrigerator. The used vials can be kept at room temperature for up to 28 days.
- Take the medication exactly how your doctor tells you to.
- Know the symptoms of low blood sugar.
Risks and Warnings for Humulin (Human Insulin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Humulin (Human Insulin) can cause low or high blood sugar if you're not using it correctly. Take this medication exactly how your doctor tells you, and make sure that you know what the signs and symptoms of low and high blood sugar are.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Humulin (Human Insulin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take 2 times a day, AM & PM, before meal. Ensure there are no air bubbles in syringe otherwise lesser dose will be injected. Alternate left and right side of stomach area for shot.Taken for: Type 2 diabetesDuration taken: Two years or more
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › People on Humulin (Human Insulin) can experience weight gain. Talk to your doctor or dietitian about changing your diet if this bothers you.