This form of insulin is one of the few medications in its class that you can get without a prescription, but it's expensive.
Humalog is a fast-acting insulin that provides meal-time sugar control. It can cause low blood sugar, so make sure you know what the symptoms are and always have a source of sugar nearby.
- Some types of this medication are available without a prescription.
- Available as a shot to be injected into the fatty part of the skin, and as a powder to be inhaled through your nose.
- Available in different combinations so that you can do one shot or multiple shots a day.
- Insulin is the most effective blood sugar-lowering medicine. When used correctly, it'll lower blood sugar every time you use it and prevent the harmful effects of high sugar levels on your organs and blood vessels.
- Humalog is a fast-acting insulin that provides sugar control after meals.
- Dose can be easily adjusted to make a customized regimen that's tailored to your body.
- Starting insulin early in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes can maintain your body's insulin-producing cells and slow down disease progression.
- Okay to use even if you have liver or kidney problems, unlike most other blood sugar-lowering medicines.
- Has to be taken exactly as directed or it can cause high or low blood sugar.
- As with all insulins, you have to work with your doctor closely to make sure you're giving yourself the correct dose, or you can have low or high blood sugar.
- You have to take insulin by injection.
- You have to check your blood sugar multiple times every day, usually before each meal.
- Likely to cause moderate weight gain (around 4 to 6 pounds).
- Higher risk of low blood sugar episodes than other kinds of diabetes medicines.
Have you used Humulin (Human Insulin)?Leave a review
- Life-threatening low blood sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Insulin dose too high
...and 4 more risk factors
- Complications due to low potassium
Use of other medicine that lowers potassium
...and 1 more risk factors