Calms down your immune system.
Our bottom line
Humira (Adalimumab) is very effective at calming down your immune system, but it's expensive, you have to take into account the hassle of injections and traveling with the medication.
- (1) 2 pens of 40mg/0.8ml carton
- Cost for (1) 2 pens of 40mg/0.8ml carton of Humira (Adalimumab) at pharmacies
- $5866.96New price:$4752.24Save:19%
- Rite-Aid$5572.83New price:$4904.09Save:12%
- Treats certain types of arthritis and gastrointestinal conditions caused by an overactive immune system.
- Most people feel it's worth the hassle.
- Once you've learned the correct way to use Humira, you can inject the medicine yourself without going to your doctor's office.
- It's available in a single-use pen (Humira Pen) that may be more convenient and easier for some people to use.
- It's an alternative for people with Crohn's disease who stopped getting better on other TNF-blockers or had side effects that made them switch.
- It's an injection.
- It's expensive because there's no generic available yet.
- Humira lowers your ability to fight infection and can cause serious life-threatening illness. The risk is greater if you take other drugs that lower your immune system, have an active infection, diabetes, or had tuberculosis (TB) in the past.
- You're first dose of Humira will need to be given at your doctor's office. If you decide not to self-inject and don't have someone to do it for you, you'll need to continue to see your doctor for each dose.
- You'll need to properly dispose of the needle, syringes, or Pen in a special (FDA-approved) sharps container.
- Because it needs to be refrigerated until you use it, if you're traveling, you'll need to carry it in a cooler with an ice pack.
Humira (Adalimumab) is a biologic response modifier. It works in the immune system to block a protein called TNF (tumor necrosis factor). Blocking TNF relieves symptoms and prevents disease progression.
What to expect when you take Humira (Adalimumab) for Rheumatoid arthritisSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Humira (Adalimumab)
- Injection site reactions
- Serious infections
- Alt increased (>3x)
Risks and Warnings for Humira (Adalimumab)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
Humira (Adalimumab) has been reported to cause hypersensitivity reactions (severe rash, trouble breathing) and angioedema (life-threatening condition with swelling with or without hives). If you notice these symptoms after your dose or days later, call your doctor and get medical care right away.
Common concerns from people taking Humira (Adalimumab)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Don't drink alcohol the day before for less pain. Always had bruising and muscle pain for day after injection. Along with headache.
- Travelling can be huge pain with this refridgeerator medication. There are 30 hour chill containers out there. One piece of advice that really help me is if you can find ice. Do to the nearest fast food place and bring a ziploc bag
- No pain from using pen injection. Had to check it had actually pierced the skin. However, suffering from joint, neck & back pain, blurred vision and occasional head rush. On a positive Chrohns flare has ceased. So a mixed opinion.
- Humira worked great. It took away the pain and swelling. After 2 doses I felt relief from RA.