Lowers blood pressure. Removes extra water from your body.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz)) is a well-tolerated water pill that's often the first-choice treatment for mild high blood pressure.
- Works well to get rid of extra fluids in your body through urination.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people. Works especially well for African Americans.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Good option if you have both high blood pressure and heart failure.
- Raises calcium levels in the body, so it can be good for people with osteoporosis to slow down bone loss and even help with new bone formation.
- Most people have very few side effects.
- Makes you urinate more often.
- Doesn't work well in people with severe kidney problems.
Save on your next Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz)) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 12.5mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 12.5mg capsules of Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz)) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$12.36New price:$5.19Save:58%
- Kmart$14.57New price:$6.12Save:58%
- $19.65New price:$8.45Save:57%
Side effects for Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz))
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Aplastic anemia
- Bleeding under the skin
- Destruction of red blood cells
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Erythema multiforme
- Exfoliative dermatitis
- Gastric irritation
- Hair loss or baldness
- High blood sugar
- Interstitial nephritis
- Kidney failure
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood pressure
- Low white blood cells
- Muscle spasm
- Necrotizing angiitis
- Positional low blood pressure
- Renal dysfunction
- Respiratory distress
- Sensitivity to light
- Serious allergic reaction
- Stevens-johnson syndrome
- Sugar in urine
- Swelling and fluid in lungs
- Tingling sensation
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Transient blurred vision
- Yellow skin or eyes
What to expect when you take Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz)) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Starts working in about 2 hours.
- Makes you urinate more often, so avoid taking it at bedtime.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, or muscle weakness that doesn't go away.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
Risks and Warnings for Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz))Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Current electrolyte imbalance
Too much Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz)) can cause excessive urine production, which leads to dehydration and low levels of sodium, potassium or magnesium. The electrolyte imbalance can have negative affects on your muscles or other important organs. Any existing fluid or electrolyte imbalances should be addressed before using Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz)). Any changes for the medicine should be made by a doctor.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Microzide (Hydrochlorothiazide (Hctz))Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Doesn't work well in people with severe kidney problems.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Constant trips to the restroom & made me tired. Also experienced aching in my lower back (kidney area).