Treats migraine headaches.
Our bottom line
Imitrex (Sumatriptan) is an excellent choice for acute migraine relief, but you might need another medication to prevent headaches.
- Comes in several forms. Ask your doctor if you should use the pill, nasal spray, patch, or injection.
- A combination of forms can be used if symptoms do not improve.
- The nasal spray and injectable forms work very quickly.
- It's generally safe to use if you are pregnant.
- Comes in a generic form, so it can be pretty cheap.
- The oral and nasal versions of Imitrex (Sumatriptan) have an unpleasant after-taste.
- Does not prevent migraine headaches; it only treats them once they start.
- Must wait 1 hour before using second injection.
- Can cause rebound (more) headaches if Imitrex (Sumatriptan) is used too often.
- Need to have your blood pressure checked often, especially if you're pregnant.
Imitrex (Sumatriptan) is a triptan medication that treats migraine headaches. It releases serotonin, which lowers the inflammation that causes headaches.
What to expect when you take Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine HeadacheSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Imitrex (sumatriptan)
- Pain and other pressure sensations
- Atypical sensations
- Paresthesia (all types)
- Sensation warm/cold
- Pain - location specified
Risks and Warnings for Imitrex (sumatriptan)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
- › High blood pressure
- › High cholesterol
- › Diabetes
- › Being overweight or obese
- › Smoking
Some people taking Imitrex (Sumatriptan) have reported temporary chest pain, pressure, and tightness. These symptoms are caused by heart vessels being constricted/tightened. Before starting Imitrex (Sumatriptan), people who have coronary artery disease, or are more likely to have it, should talk to their doctor about having a heart health assessment.
Common concerns from people taking Imitrex (sumatriptan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- I used to wait until I knew the pain was a migraine, but it took so much longer to work, now I take it at the first sign. For the last year or so, I get tired after taking it, unless I'm up and moving around, but it's better than the pain!
- Imitrex (Sumatriptan) can make you drowsy, so avoid activities that need you to be fully alert until you know how it affects you.