Treats migraine headaches.
Our bottom line
Imitrex (Sumatriptan) is an excellent choice for acute migraine relief, but you might need another medication to prevent headaches.
- Comes in several forms. Ask your doctor if you should use the pill, nasal spray, patch, or injection.
- A combination of forms can be used if symptoms do not improve.
- The nasal spray and injectable forms work very quickly.
- It's generally safe to use if you are pregnant.
- Comes in a generic form, so it can be pretty cheap.
- The oral and nasal versions of Imitrex (Sumatriptan) have an unpleasant after-taste.
- Does not prevent migraine headaches; it only treats them once they start.
- Must wait 1 hour before using second injection.
- Can cause rebound (more) headaches if Imitrex (Sumatriptan) is used too often.
- Need to have your blood pressure checked often, especially if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Imitrex (Sumatriptan) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 9 tablets of 100mg dose pack
- Cost for (1) 9 tablets of 100mg dose pack of Imitrex (Sumatriptan) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$50.04New price:$14.01Save:72%
- $107.73New price:$16.16Save:85%
- Kmart$249.00New price:$22.41Save:91%
What to expect when you take Imitrex (Sumatriptan) for Migraine HeadacheSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take it as soon as your headache starts.
- If you use the nasal spray, be sure to blow your nose before using it.
- If you use the patch, put it on a dry area free of scars, tattoos, or other cuts and scrapes. Be sure to press the button to activate it.
- If you use the injection, you can use a second injection if you still have a headache after an hour. If you have symptoms 2 hours after the injection, switch to the pill version.
- Imitrex (Sumatriptan) can make you drowsy, so avoid activities that need you to be fully alert until you know how it affects you.
- Lie down in a dark room after taking Imitrex (Sumatriptan) to help ease the pain.
Side effects for Imitrex (Sumatriptan)
From clinical trials of Imitrex / Migraine attacks (25 mg) ( 726)
- Pain and other pressure sensationsPain and other pressure sensations6% for Sumatriptan vs.4% for placebo
- Atypical sensationsAtypical sensations5% for Sumatriptan vs.4% for placebo
- Paresthesia (all types)Paresthesia (all types)3% for Sumatriptan vs.2% for placebo
- Sensation warm/coldSensation warm/cold3% for Sumatriptan vs.2% for placebo
- Pain - location specifiedPain - location specified2% for Sumatriptan vs.1% for placebo
- Malaise/fatigueMalaise/fatigue2% for Sumatriptan vs.0% for placebo
- Chest - pain/tightness/pressure and/or heavinessChest - pain/tightness/pressure and/or heaviness1% for Sumatriptan vs.1% for placebo
- Other - pressure/tightness/ heavinessOther - pressure/tightness/ heaviness1% for Sumatriptan vs.2% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Neck/throat/jaw - pain/ tightness/pressure
Risks and Warnings for Imitrex (Sumatriptan)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
- › High blood pressure
- › High cholesterol
- › Diabetes
- › Being overweight or obese
- › Smoking
Some people taking Imitrex (Sumatriptan) have reported temporary chest pain, pressure, and tightness. These symptoms are caused by heart vessels being constricted/tightened. Before starting Imitrex (Sumatriptan), people who have coronary artery disease, or are more likely to have it, should talk to their doctor about having a heart health assessment.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Imitrex (Sumatriptan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Imitrex (Sumatriptan) can make you drowsy, so avoid activities that need you to be fully alert until you know how it affects you.
- I can work through the foggy period I get after taking it IF I'm up for the day. If I take it at night, I have to have at least four hours of sleep afterwards to function.