Treats migraine headaches.
Our bottom line
Imitrex (Sumatriptan) is an excellent choice for acute migraine relief, but you might need another medication to prevent headaches.
- (1) 9 tablets of 100mg dose pack
- Cost for (1) 9 tablets of 100mg dose pack of Imitrex (Sumatriptan) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$49.60New price:$12.40Save:75%
- $196.57New price:$13.76Save:93%
- Kmart$249.00New price:$22.41Save:91%
- $167.31New price:$65.25Save:61%
- Comes in several forms. Ask your doctor if you should use the pill, nasal spray, patch, or injection.
- A combination of forms can be used if symptoms do not improve.
- The nasal spray and injectable forms work very quickly.
- It's generally safe to use if you are pregnant.
- Comes in a generic form, so it can be pretty cheap.
- The oral and nasal versions of Imitrex (Sumatriptan) have an unpleasant after-taste.
- Does not prevent migraine headaches; it only treats them once they start.
- Must wait 1 hour before using second injection.
- Can cause rebound (more) headaches if Imitrex (Sumatriptan) is used too often.
- Need to have your blood pressure checked often, especially if you're pregnant.
What to expect when you take Imitrex (Sumatriptan) for Migraine HeadacheSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Imitrex (Sumatriptan)
- Pain and other pressure sensations
- Atypical sensations
- Paresthesia (all types)
- Sensation warm/cold
- Pain - location specified
Risks and Warnings for Imitrex (Sumatriptan)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
- › High blood pressure
- › High cholesterol
- › Diabetes
- › Being overweight or obese
- › Smoking
Some people taking Imitrex (Sumatriptan) have reported temporary chest pain, pressure, and tightness. These symptoms are caused by heart vessels being constricted/tightened. Before starting Imitrex (Sumatriptan), people who have coronary artery disease, or are more likely to have it, should talk to their doctor about having a heart health assessment.
Common concerns from people taking Imitrex (Sumatriptan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- I used to wait until I knew the pain was a migraine, but it took so much longer to work, now I take it at the first sign. For the last year or so, I get tired after taking it, unless I'm up and moving around, but it's better than the pain!
- Imitrex (Sumatriptan) can make you drowsy, so avoid activities that need you to be fully alert until you know how it affects you.