Our bottom line
One day is too many days to have diarrhea. Having Imodium (Loperamide) on hand to relieve your symptoms can be a life-saver.
- Membership warehousePrice with coupon: $73.20
- Price with coupon: $73.20
- Kroger PharmacyRetail Price:$201.59Price with coupon:$74.59
- Price with coupon: $74.68
- Retail Price:$114.89Price with coupon:$74.68
- Most people who take Imodium feel there's no hassle and it's definitely worth it!
- Non-habit forming and available over-the-counter.
- It comes in caplets, liquid, and chewable tablets so you can use it anywhere you need it.
- Imodium is used for short-term, chronic and traveler's diarrhea. It's also used for people who have diarrhea caused by cancer or certain medicines that treat cancer.
- Imodium only treats your diarrhea symptoms. Diarrhea may be caused by a number of conditions and will need specific treatment that deals with the underlying issue.
- Studies in people taking Imodium for chronic diarrhea showed if the maximum number of doses didn't relieve symptoms in 10 days, then it probably won't work for that condition. You can talk to your doctor about other treatment options.
Imodium (Loperamide) is an antidiarrheal medicine. It's actually an opioid related to morphine, though it doesn't affect the brain like opioid pain medicines do. Instead, it works directly on muscles in your large intestine to stop contractions and increase the time it takes for stool to move through. The result is less diarrhea and more formed stool.
Side effect rates for Imodium (loperamide)
Risks and Warnings for Imodium (loperamide)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Allergy to loperamide
Very rarely, Imodium (Loperamide) has been reported to cause hypersensitivity reactions (severe rash, trouble breathing) and angioedema (life-threatening condition with swelling with or without hives). If you notice these symptoms after your dose or days later, call your doctor and get medical care right away.
Common concerns from people taking Imodium (loperamide)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Ask your doctor before taking Imodium if you have a fever, liver problems, mucus in your stool or are taking antibiotics.
- Do not use if you have diarrhea with a high fever, blood in your stool, pain, swelling or bulging in your belly. People taking HIV medicine together with Imodium (Loperamide) can have a serious intestinal problem called toxic megacolon. Call your doctor or get medical care right away if you develop these symptoms or your diarrhea gets worse after 2 days.
- The correct dose of Imodium may be different depending on age. Use the dosing chart to find the right amount of medicine based on age and weight.