Our pharmacists’ bottom line
One day is too many days to have diarrhea. Having Imodium (Loperamide) on hand to relieve your symptoms can be a life-saver.
- Most people who take Imodium feel there's no hassle and it's definitely worth it!
- Non-habit forming and available over-the-counter.
- It comes in caplets, liquid, and chewable tablets so you can use it anywhere you need it.
- Imodium is used for short-term, chronic and traveler's diarrhea. It's also used for people who have diarrhea caused by cancer or certain medicines that treat cancer.
- Imodium only treats your diarrhea symptoms. Diarrhea may be caused by a number of conditions and will need specific treatment that deals with the underlying issue.
- Studies in people taking Imodium for chronic diarrhea showed if the maximum number of doses didn't relieve symptoms in 10 days, then it probably won't work for that condition. You can talk to your doctor about other treatment options.
Save on your next Imodium (Loperamide) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (240) 2mg capsule
- Cost for (240) 2mg capsules of Imodium (Loperamide) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy
- $80.23New price:$17.65Save78%
- $158.71New price:$92.05Save42%
- $192.66New price:$119.45Save38%
- $174.31New price:$101.10Save42%
Side effects for Imodium (Loperamide)
From clinical trials of Imodium / Acute diarrhea ( 467)
- ConstipationConstipation3% for Imodium vs.0% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation2% for Imodium vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abdominal cramp
- Abdominal cramping
- Dry mouth
- Passing gas
What to expect when you take Imodium (Loperamide)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Try to drink plenty of clear liquids. Having diarrhea can make you dehydrated.
- The correct dose of Imodium may be different depending on age. Use the dosing chart to find the right amount of medicine based on age and weight.
- Shake Imodium liquid well before using. Use dosing cup that comes with bottle to get the best dose.
- Imodium lowers your ability to focus, think, and react. Avoid activities that require you to be alert, such as driving a car or operating machinery, until you know how this medication affects you.
- Check with your baby doctor before using if you're breastfeeding.
- Ask your doctor before taking Imodium if you have a fever, liver problems, mucus in your stool or are taking antibiotics.
- Don't use if you have blood in your stool or it's dark or black in color.
- Stop using Imodium and call your doctor if you have pain, swelling or bulging in your belly or your symptoms get worse after 2 days. This could be serious.
Risks and Warnings for Imodium (Loperamide)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Allergy to loperamide
Very rarely, Imodium (Loperamide) has been reported to cause hypersensitivity reactions (severe rash, trouble breathing) and angioedema (life-threatening condition with swelling with or without hives). If you notice these symptoms after your dose or days later, call your doctor and get medical care right away.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Imodium (Loperamide)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › The correct dose of Imodium may be different depending on age. Use the dosing chart to find the right amount of medicine based on age and weight.