Lowers your blood sugar.
Our bottom line
Invokana (Canagliflozin) helps lower blood sugar for people with diabetes but it can increase the chance of a yeast infection and can be expensive.
- (30) 300mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 300mg tablets of Invokana (Canagliflozin) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$504.41New price:$443.88Save:12%
- $499.73New price:$444.76Save:11%
- $576.28New price:$449.50Save:22%
- Rite-Aid$555.40New price:$455.43Save:18%
- $502.71New price:$462.49Save:8%
- $510.56New price:$464.61Save:9%
- Lowers A1c levels by 1% (A1c measures your average blood sugar over time.)
- Prevents the harmful effects of high sugar levels on your organs.
- Can be taken by mouth, only once a day, compared to other diabetes medications that require an injection.
- Has a lower chance of causing low blood sugar than medications like glyburide or insulin.
- Also available as a combination drug with metformin (Invokamet).
- Only lowers A1c levels by 1%, which may not be enough to get your blood sugar in the safe range.
- Not available as a generic.
- Many other diabetes medications work as well and are cheaper.
- Can cause increased urination, thirst, and increased likelihood to get yeast infections.
- Not considered the best first choice drug to help lower blood sugar.
Invokana (Canagliflozin) is an anti-diabetes medication. It lowers blood sugar by causing your body to get rid of sugar in your urine.
Side effect rates for Invokana (Canagliflozin)
- Female genital mycotic infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Increased urination
- Volume depletion
- Male genital mycotic infections
- Hypersensitivity reaction
- Low blood sugar
- Volume depletion
Risks and Warnings for Invokana (Canagliflozin)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Over age 65
- › Kidney disease
- › Taking blood pressure medications
People on Invokana (Canagliflozin) have reported having low blood pressure. You are more likely to get this if you are over 65, have kidney disease, or taking blood pressure medications called ACE inhibitors or ARBs. Talk to your doctor since they might have to adjust your medications. Be very careful getting up from either sitting or lying down since you can feel dizzy the first few days you take Invokana (Canagliflozin).
Common concerns from people taking Invokana (Canagliflozin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take Invokana (Canagliflozin) before your first meal of the day.
- Eat regular, balanced meals to avoid low blood sugar.
- I actually gained weight with this,