Treats ADHD and lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Clonidine is a non-stimulant option to manage ADHD symptoms and behaviors, but it can lower your blood pressure.
- Can be used alone or together with a stimulant-type medicine to treat ADHD.
- In studies, it improved attention span and lowered hyperactivity and impulsivity in children and adolescents ages 6 to 17.
- Also treats blood pressure and some nervous system and psychiatric conditions.
- Can lower blood pressure.
- The pill form can make some people sleepy, dizzy, and have dry mouth.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Clonidine suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Save on your next Kapvay (Clonidine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 0.1mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 0.1mg tablets of Kapvay (Clonidine) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- Kroger Pharmacy$13.83New price:$6.36Save54%
- Kmart$14.69New price:$6.76Save54%
- $22.83New price:$12.10Save47%
Side effects for Kapvay (Clonidine)
From clinical trials of Kapvay / ADHD (0.2 mg/day) ( 152)
- DrowsinessDrowsiness38% for Clonidine vs.4% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache20% for Clonidine vs.16% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue16% for Clonidine vs.1% for placebo
- Upper abdominal painUpper abdominal pain15% for Clonidine vs.12% for placebo
- IrritabilityIrritability9% for Clonidine vs.4% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness7% for Clonidine vs.5% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect7% for Clonidine vs.1% for placebo
- Sleep difficultySleep difficulty5% for Clonidine vs.1% for placebo
- NightmareNightmare4% for Clonidine vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea4% for Clonidine vs.3% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormally slow heartbeat
- Dry mouth
- Increased heart rate
- Poor quality sleep
What to expect when you take Kapvay (Clonidine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause drowsiness, headache, dizziness, and dry mouth.
- For ADHD: Might take up to 2 weeks to see effects.
- For high blood pressure: Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- If side effects don't go away, talk to your doctor about alternatives.
- Don't stop taking this medicine suddenly.
Risks and Warnings for Kapvay (Clonidine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Sudden discontinuation of medicine
Stopping Kapvay (Clonidine) suddenly can cause agitation, headache, tremors, and a sudden rise of blood pressure that can produce complications. Kapvay (Clonidine) should be stopped over 2-4 days with the supervision of a doctor. If using with a beta blocker medicine, slowly stop the beta blocker first before stopping Kapvay (Clonidine).
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Kapvay (Clonidine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can cause drowsiness, headache, dizziness, and dry mouth.