Our bottom line
Keflex (Cephalexin) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as generic. However, if you are on medications to thin your blood, you can be more likely to bleed.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- If you're on blood thinners (anticoagulants), talk to your doctor, it may make you more likely to bleed.
- If you have to take any live vaccines, talk to your doctor. You may have to postpone it.
- Can cause diarrhea.
Save on your next Keflex (Cephalexin) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (40) 500mg capsule
- Cost for (40) 500mg capsules of Keflex (Cephalexin) at pharmacies
- $27.20New price:$8.16Save:70%
- Kroger Pharmacy$26.74New price:$10.16Save:62%
- $28.69New price:$12.91Save:55%
- Kmart$60.91New price:$14.01Save:77%
What to expect when you take Keflex (Cephalexin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take this medication exactly as your doctor tells you to.
- Store the suspension in the refrigerator. All other forms can be kept at room temperature.
- Space out vitamins by a couple hours if you're taking this medication.
Side effects for Keflex (Cephalexin)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abdominal pain
- Anal itching
- Deep skin swelling
- Destruction of red blood cells
- Erythema multiforme
- Genital candidiasis
- Joint disorder
- Joint inflammation
- Joint pain
- Liver inflammation
- Low white blood cells
- Stevens-johnson syndrome
- Upset stomach
- Vaginal discharge
- Vaginal inflammation
- Yellow skin or eyes
Risks and Warnings for Keflex (Cephalexin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
As with all antibiotics, Keflex (Cephalexin) can cause diarrhea. If this happens while you're taking the medication, taking probiotics in the form of yogurt, supplements or drinks a few hours after you take the medication may help. If you develop an unusual diarrhea with loose or bloody stools weeks after you finish the medication, talk to your doctor as this can be a rare but serious side effect.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Keflex (Cephalexin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can be taken with or without food.