Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Keppra (Levetiracetam) is effective for preventing seizures in people with epilepsy. Compared to other anti-seizure medications, it has few drug interactions and you don’t need to get your levels checked.
- Lowers the frequency of seizures, including partial-onset, generalized tonic-clonic, and myoclonic seizures.
- Unlike many other medications for epilepsy, this has very few drug interactions, so your other medicines shouldn't be affected.
- If you have trouble swallowing tablets, Keppra (Levetiracetam) is also available as an oral solution.
- You won’t need to get regular blood tests to check the drug levels in your body.
- It’s important to take your dose on time so that Keppra (Levetiracetam) has consistent levels in your body.
- May not be the best drug to take if you have a history of psychiatric issues, such as depression or bipolar disorder.
- If you have kidney problems, your dose may need to be adjusted. Your doctor will check your kidney function regularly.
- Keppra (Levetiracetam) is only FDA-approved to be taken with other medicines to treat epilepsy.
Save on your next Keppra (Levetiracetam) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Keppra (Levetiracetam)
From clinical trials of Keppra / Myoclonic seizures (Taken together with other anti-seizure medicines) ( 120)
- DrowsinessDrowsiness12% for Keppra vs.2% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect8% for Keppra vs.2% for placebo
- Neck painNeck pain8% for Keppra vs.2% for placebo
- Sore throatSore throat7% for Keppra vs.0% for placebo
- FluFlu5% for Keppra vs.2% for placebo
- Low mood disorderLow mood disorder5% for Keppra vs.2% for placebo
- VertigoVertigo5% for Keppra vs.3% for placebo
- AnxietyAnxiety3% for Keppra vs.0% for placebo
- Depressed moodDepressed mood2% for Keppra vs.0% for placebo
- Double visionDouble vision2% for Keppra vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you start Keppra (Levetiracetam)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- You can experience drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, or respiratory infections while on this.
- If you start having skin rashes or changes in your mood, tell your doctor immediately.
- If you need to stop taking Keppra (Levetiracetam), do so over at least one week to prevent withdrawal seizures.
- If you are taking the oral solution, use the measuring device given with the medicine. Don’t use your household tablespoons to measure.
- Don’t crush or cut this medicine before taking it, or else you’ll have dangerously high levels of this drug in your body.
Risks and Warnings for Keppra (Levetiracetam)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Although rare, Keppra (Levetiracetam) may lower the amount of important blood cells in your body (hemoglobin, hematocrit, white blood cells, and neutrophils). You should be getting regular blood tests to make sure your blood cells don't change too much while taking Keppra (Levetiracetam).
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Keppra (Levetiracetam)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- I personally couldn't tolerate alcohol at all while on medication as it amplifies the side effect of drowsiness considerably.Age: 34Gender: womanTaken for: Tonic-clonic seizureDuration taken: two years or more
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › If you have kidney problems, your dose may need to be adjusted. Your doctor will check your kidney function regularly.