Controls seizures and helps you relax.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Klonopin (Clonazepam) is okay for occasional or short-term use (up to 4 weeks) for anxiety, and to treat seizures. Less severe withdrawal symptoms compared to similar drugs.
- Effective at relieving short-term anxiety and sleeplessness.
- Can be used together with antidepressants to manage anxiety disorders. Especially helpful for anxiety symptoms while you wait for an antidepressant to kick in (it can take several weeks).
- Can be used alone or with other medicines to treat seizures.
- Less severe withdrawal symptoms compared to other benzodiazepines.
- Can cause memory problems, drowsiness, dizziness, and confusion.
- Can be habit-forming, so it's not typically used for long-term treatment, or for people who've had problems with drug or alcohol abuse.
- Most people find that it gets less effective over time.
Save on your next Klonopin (Clonazepam) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Klonopin (Clonazepam)
From clinical trials of Klonopin / Panic disorder ( 868)
- DrowsinessDrowsiness37% for Clonazepam vs.10% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness8% for Clonazepam vs.4% for placebo
- Ear, nose, or throat infectionEar, nose, or throat infection8% for Clonazepam vs.4% for placebo
- Low mood disorderLow mood disorder7% for Clonazepam vs.1% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue7% for Clonazepam vs.4% for placebo
- Coordination abnormalCoordination abnormal6% for Clonazepam vs.0% for placebo
- Lack of muscle coordinationLack of muscle coordination5% for Clonazepam vs.0% for placebo
- FluFlu4% for Clonazepam vs.3% for placebo
- Memory disturbanceMemory disturbance4% for Clonazepam vs.2% for placebo
- Sinus inflammationSinus inflammation4% for Clonazepam vs.3% for placebo
What to expect when you start Klonopin (Clonazepam)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- For the first week, avoid activities that require you to be alert.
- Can cause dizziness, drowsiness, and salivation.
- Report any confusion or inability to control muscle movements to your doctor.
- Not safe to use with alcohol.
Risks and Warnings for Klonopin (Clonazepam)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking more than the prescribed dose
- › Taking longer than 4 weeks
- › History of drug abuse
If you use Klonopin (Clonazepam) for 4 weeks or more, it's likely that your body will develop tolerance to it, which means that more and more of the medication is needed to achieve the same effect. You're also likely to become physically dependent on the medication, which means that you'll feel withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it all at once. You can avoid withdrawal by weaning off of the medication very slowly with the help of a doctor. Take only the prescribed dose to minimize risks of abuse and overdose. Klonopin (Clonazepam) should not be used by people with a history of drug abuse if an alternative medication is available.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Klonopin (Clonazepam)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can be habit-forming, so it's not typically used for long-term treatment, or for people who've had problems with drug or alcohol abuse.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Not safe to use with alcohol.
- Klonopin caused extreme anxiety, panic attacks, violence, increased suicide attempts to escape adverse reactions, alcohol use, caused agoraphobia. Withdrawals almost killed me. Very dangerous drug. Highly addicting.Age: 57Gender: womanTaken for: SleepDuration taken: two years or more
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Stopping Klonopin (Clonazepam) suddenly may cause withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, anxiety, agitation, flu-like symptoms, trouble sleeping, and muscle pain or burning. Withdrawal symptoms can last 6 weeks or longer. Work with your doctor to gradually reduce your dose when stopping or switching to a different medication.
- Take it in the evening before you go to sleep, it keeps you even throughout the next day. Make sure to not take it too late, otherwise drowsiness can occur in the AMAge: 27Gender: womanTaken for: Panic disorderDuration taken: two years or more
- Very subtle, but calms my nervous system down enough to sleep at night as I have constant chronic pain that keeps me in fight or flight mode. been using 1 mg for 2-3 weeks now and I've been so happy to actually sleep.Age: 22Gender: manTaken for: Panic disorder
- Just made me very very sleepy. Only helps with anxiety attacks or if you are very emotional/moody because you can take it to calm down. However, its way of calming you down is just making you sleep.Age: 17Gender: womanTaken for: Seizures
- heat & weight help a little such as 7-8 blanketsAge: 76Gender: womanDuration taken: two years or more